Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd September 2013, 07:08 PM
dam973 Offline

linuxfirefox
Fedora 19 nvidia problem

Hi. I have a problem , with the 2 latest kernel updates i can't open x , it says Nvidia module not found. I have tryied the solution of patched rpm previously metionned it didnt work. Where could it come from ,knowing that with an older kernel i dont have these problems.
Thank you
Old 23rd September 2013, 07:26 PM
dam973 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 19 nvidia problem

For the moment i have unistalled nvidia driver and it works. And btw now the start kde screen is taking forever . Any ideas why?
Old 23rd September 2013, 08:11 PM
ILMostro Offline

linuxfirefox

what kernel(s) are you referring to? 3.11.1-200.fc19.x86_64? 3.10.11-200? try to be a little more specific when asking for questions. Are you using the binary driver pkg from nvidia or the kmod-nvidia packages provided by rpmfusion.org through yum package manager?
Old 24th September 2013, 01:12 AM
alphacrucis Online

windows_7firefox

See this:

http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/sh...d.php?t=294091
Old 24th September 2013, 05:20 AM
ILMostro Offline

I'm gonna assume you are referring to the akmod-nvidia packages and that the new patched versions posted by leigh are not resolving your issues with booting into kernels 3.11.1-200.fc19 and/or 3.10.11-200.fc19?

If that is the case, you could try running
Code:
#akmods --force
from a terminal after the installation, or
Code:
akomds --kernels $(uname -r)
Aside from that, follow the thread previously-posted by alphacrucis or be more specific if that's not the case.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk 4
Old 24th September 2013, 08:45 AM
dam973 Offline

windows_7firefox

Yes I running the latest kernels updates. And i did install [URL="http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=294091"] akmod fix it did not help . I will try the solution you proposed when i come home
Thank you very much.
Old 25th September 2013, 10:28 AM
dam973 Offline

windows_7firefox

ILMostro is my savior! It worked !! Well the freezing at shutdown did cause some errors in Fedora Root partition so i had to fsck from live distribution but other than that it worked! Just to tell you you guys are awesome!! I reinstalled nvidia the installed the pacthed rpm
http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=294091 from command line and when it didnt work i used
Code:
akmods --force
It worked like a charm. Problem solved!
Thank you so much!
Old 25th September 2013, 11:50 AM
ILMostro Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam973 View Post
ILMostro is my savior! It worked !! Well the freezing at shutdown did cause some errors in Fedora Root partition so i had to fsck from live distribution but other than that it worked! Just to tell you you guys are awesome!! I reinstalled nvidia the installed the pacthed rpm
http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=294091 from command line and when it didnt work i used
Code:
akmods --force
It worked like a charm. Problem solved!
Thank you so much!
Awesome! great to hear you finally got it up and running.
Old 26th September 2013, 07:23 PM
anteb Offline

linuxfirefox

I have not tried this solution for fixing the issue with the akmod nvidia driver install, i wish i had known about the simple command
Quote:
akmods --force
. Regarding the akmod installation: after install on my system i got an effective CLI machine and X would not boot for the life of me. Errors in the /etc/xorg.conf file i would assume? I tried to generate a new xorg.conf file by
Quote:
X -configure
but got some error messages and the .conf file would not be generated no matter what i did. Then i also tried
Quote:
nvidia-xconfig
, although the CLI command nvidia-xconfig generated an xorg.conf file, X would still not work after reboot - no GUI thanks to akmod ! The funny thing was that before i tried installing the proprietary driver as a last resort i deleted the xorg.conf file generated by the akmod RPM install and my systems X would be up and running with no problems with nouveau. After losing hope in installing akmod rpms through rpmfusion i reverted to Installing the proprietary driver from nvidia's website which turned out to be the biggest mistake ever. Since i started with fedora, i have had often reverted to useing the Nvidia proprietady driver downloaded from nvidias site if all else fails. This no longer works! Installing the proprietary driver adds a file to blacklist nouveau and also using dracut to black list nouveau effectively destroys X and renders your machine into a CLI terminal. I had to backed up my files to a usb drive and reinstall. Nvidias forums lists this as an ongoing issue with the linux installer for linux kernels 3.10 Kernel and above. From what i gather on various posts it does not matter which version of fedora 17, 18 & 19 if you updated your kernel to version 3.10 you can forget about it. Installing the akmod nvidia driver your only option - get it to work or stick to nouveau. If anyone has sucess in installing the proprietary driver post a reply. So anyhow i read the logs in
Quote:
/var/log/Xorg.0.log .....nvidia-installer......
and found that Xorg was complaining about waiting on a device bus that was not reponding and somehting about two output devices but can only connect to one ? - i figured that maybe the second monitor port ont he nvidia cart was bad. The proprietary nvidia install logs list the error as being invalid kernel configuration - LOL! wtf?. Decided that a video card upgrade was in order and would toss that crapo card into the garbage after installing a new video card, but first i had to format everything and reinstalled Fedora 19. Then I bought a new nvidia card (EVEA GeForce GTX650) for my fresh fedora 19 install and viola dual screens now work!. I did all of this trying to get dual screens to work on my system. I thought that maybe the nouveau driver was not working right so i thought i would try akmod, then that did not workout. So i tried the proprietary driver which killed my systems GUI and turned it into an CLI machine. After hours of haggling with conf files, logs and nvidia driver reinstalls i gave up. To get my system up i had to backup, format my hard drive, reinstall fedora 19 and purchase a new video card! wtf man, this was a major pain in the membrane. My system works now with duel screen using the nouveau driver, I might try installing the akmod driver at a later date that is when i have fully recovered from this fiasco and am brave enought to go through it again if the akmod- nvidia driver install fails. But one thing for sure i will never again use the proprietary driver.
Old 19th November 2013, 06:53 PM
anteb Offline

linuxfirefox

I just wanted to post an update on my nvidia driver installation.
I have successfully installed the nvidia driver, with no stability issues thus far by using the kmod package instead of the akmod package:

Code:
yum install kmod-nvidia
I was also able to get the proprietary driver to install using leigh123's patch for the proprietary driver that i found on nvidia's developer site. But there are stability issues using the proprietary driver. I would advise against using the proprietary driver as it has been causing random unexpected reboots; A blank black screen is displayed followed by my bios booting up when i was trying out the proprietary driver. Also i want to mention that the proprietary driver that i used displayed upon boot up with the BETA label on the nvidia logo. My current nvidia driver installation does not display the beta logo as i am using the kmod-nvidia installation.
Old 19th November 2013, 07:28 PM
leigh123linux Offline
Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by anteb View Post
I just wanted to post an update on my nvidia driver installation.
I have successfully installed the nvidia driver, with no stability issues thus far by using the kmod package instead of the akmod package:

Code:
yum install kmod-nvidia
I was also able to get the proprietary driver to install using leigh123's patch for the proprietary driver that i found on nvidia's developer site. But there are stability issues using the proprietary driver. I would advise against using the proprietary driver as it has been causing random unexpected reboots; A blank black screen is displayed followed by my bios booting up when i was trying out the proprietary driver. Also i want to mention that the proprietary driver that i used displayed upon boot up with the BETA label on the nvidia logo. My current nvidia driver installation does not display the beta logo as i am using the kmod-nvidia installation.
You shouldn't need any patch with the latest rpmfusion driver for F19

http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfr...19.x86_64.html

It even works with 3.12.0

Code:
$ uname -r
3.12.0-1.fc20.x86_64
Old 19th November 2013, 09:53 PM
anteb Offline

linuxfirefox

thank very much leigh123linux

yes, the RPMFusion driver installation worked for me without any problems.

i am using kernel version:
Code:
uname -r
3.11.8-200.fc19.x86_64

But i think it is prudent that I mention that a few minutes later after my post i just ran into some issues with the RPMFusion kmod-nvidia installation, the problem is that 3d does not work. When i ran the following command:
Code:
glxinfo | grep rendering
i received some error messages saying that i have no rendering available or something like that. I cannot post that error message because i have corrected this issue by installing the non beta version of the proprietary driver.

I then checked nvidia's website for their latest driver. They currently have a new linux driver which was just posted November 6. This driver is not labelled as beta. I thought i would give this a try and so far no problems
Code:
glxinfo | grep rendering
direct rendering: Yes
    GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_NV_path_rendering, 
    GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_NV_path_rendering,
For the proprietary driver from nvidia's website installation i had to change fedora19's default run level to boot without a graphical insteface, run-level 3. Fedora projects page on systemd explains how to do this, here is a linkHow do I change the default runlevel?

thanks again and best regards,

Last edited by anteb; 20th November 2013 at 12:32 AM. Reason: typo

Tags
akmod, fedora, nvidia, patched, problem