Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th December 2004, 01:10 AM
robyn001 Offline

yum update question

Every day I do a Yum Update (FC3).
My question is: what are these updates, some are quite huge? Are they OS updates or programs. If they are programs...where are they going and how do I know what programs are installed on my OS? I am assuming newly installed programs do not automatically go to a menu group.

Thank you

Robyn
Old 11th December 2004, 01:51 AM
baz2 Offline

You can read about the details of the update here: http://fedoranews.org/blog/

It is hard to classify the updates; they run the gamut of "os updates", programs, system utils, etc.

However, Yum update will not result in any "newly installed programs." Yum knows what is already installed, and "yum update" only updates what is already installed. If a package is updated, but you don't have it installed, yum doesn't install it. You would use "yum install" to install new packages you might want. And yes, they do sometimes automatically go into a menu group, if they are designed that way.

Tags
question, update, yum