Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th July 2013, 08:49 PM
grumie Offline

windows_7opera
Fedora 19, Black screen instead of user login screen

Hi everyone, I hope this thread is in the appropieate place, if not I apologize in advance.

I'd like to comment you my problem. I installed fedora 19 in a Lenovo z470, since the day it was released, everything was clean, and no problems... but last night when I was about to turn my computer off, I remember there was a new update pending... It was the last thing I did.

Today when I turn on my computer, I see the normal boot up menu, with a few kernels to pick up to start, and a rescue item... also the windows one (sorry for that ).

The thing is that, after I choose the most recent kernell to start up, it seems to be normal, but then I never get to the user login screen, I only get a black screen, and it's the same for any other kernell I choose, even the rescue option, I can't get to the user login screen and in consequence I can't get access to the system.

I don't know what to do. I'd be happy if I could save some info that was left.

I hope I can get rid of it with your help, I love fedora. Thanks!
Old 14th July 2013, 09:06 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Retired Adminstrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 19, Black screen instead of user login screen

Try pressing Escape during the tear-drop logo to see text messages. Can you switch to another virtual console (Ctrl+Alt+F2)? Is there a text log-in screen on it?
Old 15th July 2013, 01:46 AM
grumie Offline

windows_7opera

Hi, thanks for you answer.

I did what you told me, I pressed escape when the logo appears, and I can see all those lines coming down. Now, they all seem to be alrighted since I can see everything is [OK].

But, it then suddenly gets stocked at some point though the lines keep showing everything is [0K]... that's curious.

I will show you what the last lines are showing... literally.

-------------------------------------

Started network manager
[OK] Started AvahI mDNS/DNS-SD Stack
daemon... [OK] Started virtualization daemon Startin Sendmail Transport Agent... Starting RPC bind service... [OK] RPC bind (and here it freezes up)

I tried to access different terminals through ctrl + alt .... but nothing shows up

Thank you very much for the help.
Old 15th July 2013, 05:22 AM
tranduyhung Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi,

After an update last night, I got this problem, Fedora hanged at boot, there was no way I could reach command line or GUI interfrace. Here are the steps I did to fix this issue:

At grub boot screen, I pressed "e" to modify boot option, add "3" between my kernel version and root partition's UUID, the result was similar to this:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.9.9-301.fc19.x86_64 3 root=UUID=bb5be99f-5590-4962-a5ea-63565b8fa123 ro rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0 vconsole.keymap=us rd.luks=0 vconsole.font=latarcyrheb-sun16 quiet

Pressed F10 and my system booted in runlevel 3. I logged in and downgraded Xorg:

sudo yum downgrade xorg-x11-server-Xorg

Restarted and now I am able to login and typing this message.

Something could be wrong in xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.14.2-3.fc19.x86_64, downgrade to xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.14.1-4.fc19.x86_64 fixes the issue for me.

I hope this helps.
Old 15th July 2013, 08:19 PM
grumie Offline

linuxopera

tranduyhung, I did what yo told me to do, and it was just fine hehe..

Thank you, thank you thank you!

Now, something must be taken into consideration, now that the system is ok, it continues though asking me to update that xorg file, and the one it suggests it's the same that caused the problem!

I'm sort of concerned about it, since future updates are important, I guess I must figure out, how to avoid the installation of the mentioned package, while letting the others do it's job.

Thank you once again for your help.
Old 18th July 2013, 12:20 PM
tranduyhung Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi,

You can use yum-versionlock package.

sudo yum install yum-versionlock

Open /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/versionlock.list as root and add "xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.14.1-4.fc19.x86_64" into it.

Then when you run "yum update" xorg-x11-server-Xorg will not be in the list of new upgrade packages.
Old 22nd July 2013, 09:53 PM
grumie Offline

linuxfirefox

tranduyhong, thank you once again.

I like learning things, and you've just taught me a couple of very useful tricks , thank you very much for your help, thanks for your time!
Old 23rd July 2013, 08:18 PM
mclloyd Offline

windows_7firefox
Black screen after login

Similar problem here. I've got a user login screen but black screen after that. I'm in after CTRL+ALT+F2->startx. But the system is extremely slow.
Old 25th July 2013, 05:34 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Retired Adminstrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Black screen after login

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclloyd View Post
Similar problem here. I've got a user login screen but black screen after that. I'm in after CTRL+ALT+F2->startx. But the system is extremely slow.
Take a look at the CPU and memory usage (e.g. gnome-system-monitor or top) to see if a particular program is using all the resources.
Old 25th July 2013, 09:54 PM
fedorabawks Offline

linuxfirefox

I'm also getting a delayed response from the system after logging in with F19, both via the console and via the DM, which is LXDM.

After logging in, the system will just sit for 10 - 15 seconds idly and then start firing up the user space.
Old 26th July 2013, 04:10 PM
mclloyd Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Black screen after login

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Jones View Post
Take a look at the CPU and memory usage (e.g. gnome-system-monitor or top) to see if a particular program is using all the resources.
gnome-shell uses a lot of CPU, sometimes 100%. It's always on top.
Old 26th July 2013, 04:43 PM
Colors Offline

linuxfirefox

At boot, in the Grub menu, add acpi_backlight=vendor. If ok, edit /etc/defaut/grub and rebuild grub.conf:

# grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.
Old 27th July 2013, 09:55 AM
rossman_2 Offline

linuxchrome

I think I'm having the same problem (seems to boot fine but screen turns black before login screen). I noticed it started after I updated to the 3.10.3-300 kernel and rebooted. When I boot to a 3.9 kernel, everything comes up fine.

I uninstalled the 3.10 kernel and am not looking forward to reinstalling it

I hate to be critical, but can anyone else verify that the grub configuration fixes the issue?
Old 27th July 2013, 10:26 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxdebianiceweasel

Possibly a video driver issue. The driver may not be available yet for the 3.10.3-300 kernel. What graphics adapter are you using?
Old 27th July 2013, 08:56 PM
rossman_2 Offline

linuxsafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
Possibly a video driver issue. The driver may not be available yet for the 3.10.3-300 kernel. What graphics adapter are you using?
My system is using Intel HD4000 integrated graphics.

Good suggestion. I tend to assume the integrated graphics adapters are supported. But with new kernel, there could be problems.

To be clear, I did not try the solution posted earlier. I was just wondering if anyone else had success with it before I go back and reinstall the kernel.

Tags
black, fedora, login, screen, user