Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th July 2013, 12:24 AM
ghborrmann Offline

linuxfirefox
Can't Install F19 to Existing Partition

Running the full DVD version, I get to the "Installation Destination" button, choose the (only) disk, tell it not to install a bootloader, specify "standard partition" and choose "Custom partitioning". The following screen shows the partition I want to install to under "Unknown". The screen tells me I can "create new mount points by clicking the '+' button", or "assign new mount points to existing partitions after selecting them below". The '+' button doesn't work because there is almost no free space left on the disk outside of existing partitions. I don't know how to select an existing partition except by clicking on it (which turns it blue). But then I don't know how to assign a new mount point to that partition. The "Configure selected mountpoint" icon is grayed out and not operational. The "Remove the selected mountpoint(s)" icon does indeed remove the partition, which then increases the free space to 19.83 GB. I've then tried the '+' icon to add a root mountpoint of 15GB, but this fails with the message "not enough free space on disks".

How can I get this to install?
Old 7th July 2013, 11:30 PM
ghborrmann Offline

linuxsafari
[Solved] Can't Install F19 to Existing Partition

Solved (at least partially). But first, I must rant: the custom partitioning screen is one of the most unintuitive I've ever seen!

I still don't know why I couldn't delete existing partitions and then add them back. Perhaps if I had done this in two steps it might have worked; i.e., deleting the partitions and selecting "Done", then going back to add new partitions. Anyway, I abandoned that approach.

What did work finally was in reconfiguring the existing partitions. The "Configure" icon below the partition list never did anything -- it stayed grayed out whatever I tried. By selecting the partition I wanted to re-use, I initially thought that all of the boxes to the right were grayed out. However, the "Reformat" and "Encrypt" boxes are not. If the existing partition is already formatted as Linux partition, other boxes are operational, but my partition had been zeroed out. Apparently anaconda is very finicky: you must check the "Reformat" box first, then specify the file system (ext4) second, and finally specify the mount point and Label.
Old 13th October 2016, 05:59 AM
Graeme Gill Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: Can't Install F19 to Existing Partition

This problem still hasn't been addressed in Fedora 24.

The documentation doesn't give any hints as to how to install into an existing partition, and the installers response to selecting an existing partition and
setting the mount point is very poor. It should at least pop up an error message indicating that an existing partition cannot be used unless it is marked for
re-formatting.
Old 14th October 2016, 12:05 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Another way of dealing with it is to format the partition that one wants to use from a live cd using gparted or some such. It's arguably not so much a problem because one only has to hit the reformat button, but the info when installing is rather terse. There's more info in the fedora docs.
Old 14th October 2016, 05:03 AM
Graeme Gill Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnbm View Post
Another way of dealing with it is to format the partition that one wants to use from a live cd using gparted or some such. It's arguably not so much a problem because one only has to hit the reformat button, but the info when installing is rather terse. There's more info in the fedora docs.
Seems irrelevant - Fedora install has the capability, it's just hard to know it is there, and how to invoke it. Better to fix the user experience than recommend workarounds that are even more obscure than ticking the "format" box.
Old 14th October 2016, 08:52 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorachrome

@Graeme - I agree that anaconda isn't the most intuitive interface for first time users. However, this isn't the right place to get your message across to developers. It's a user community operated for and run by users of the operating system. see sections #4, #5 and #6 here.

the method I use (simple partition scheme) as an example, these are not full instructions, just pointers:

when selecting disks make sure 'custom partitioning' is selected and then click done. if using more than one drive, also check the summary information (blue underlined hyperlink style text entry at the bottom and make sure the bootloader is being saved to the intended drive). in custom partitioning you should see the previous operating systems listed on the left-hand side. something like 'Fedora 23, Other'. expand those by clicking on the > next to them.

if present:

/boot/efi/ - set the same mounting point but never reformat. if you reformat it will destroy any other operating system entries (i.e. windows). /boot/efi/ is only a requirement for UEFI systems using GPT partitioning schemes.

/ - has to be reformatted and will say so if you try to install to it without doing so.

/home - doesn't generally have to be reformatted. you can simply set as /home again and retain any historic data.

apply any drive labels you see fit while you are at it. Save any updates per partition as you go or they will be lost. When done, click on done. A summary screen will appear asking if you are happy with the changes. If not, go back and start again.
Download, Install and Share Fedora - Official ISO Torrents | Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates

Tags
existing, f19, install, partition