Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th July 2013, 01:24 AM
ghborrmann Offline

linuxfirefox
Can't Install F19 to Existing Partition

Running the full DVD version, I get to the "Installation Destination" button, choose the (only) disk, tell it not to install a bootloader, specify "standard partition" and choose "Custom partitioning". The following screen shows the partition I want to install to under "Unknown". The screen tells me I can "create new mount points by clicking the '+' button", or "assign new mount points to existing partitions after selecting them below". The '+' button doesn't work because there is almost no free space left on the disk outside of existing partitions. I don't know how to select an existing partition except by clicking on it (which turns it blue). But then I don't know how to assign a new mount point to that partition. The "Configure selected mountpoint" icon is grayed out and not operational. The "Remove the selected mountpoint(s)" icon does indeed remove the partition, which then increases the free space to 19.83 GB. I've then tried the '+' icon to add a root mountpoint of 15GB, but this fails with the message "not enough free space on disks".

How can I get this to install?
Old 8th July 2013, 12:30 AM
ghborrmann Offline

linuxsafari
[Solved] Can't Install F19 to Existing Partition

Solved (at least partially). But first, I must rant: the custom partitioning screen is one of the most unintuitive I've ever seen!

I still don't know why I couldn't delete existing partitions and then add them back. Perhaps if I had done this in two steps it might have worked; i.e., deleting the partitions and selecting "Done", then going back to add new partitions. Anyway, I abandoned that approach.

What did work finally was in reconfiguring the existing partitions. The "Configure" icon below the partition list never did anything -- it stayed grayed out whatever I tried. By selecting the partition I wanted to re-use, I initially thought that all of the boxes to the right were grayed out. However, the "Reformat" and "Encrypt" boxes are not. If the existing partition is already formatted as Linux partition, other boxes are operational, but my partition had been zeroed out. Apparently anaconda is very finicky: you must check the "Reformat" box first, then specify the file system (ext4) second, and finally specify the mount point and Label.

Tags
existing, f19, install, partition