I couldn't make head nor foot from any other guides, so I wrote my own. This worked for me,
if it works for anyone else too, great!
-- Guide to installing 64bit java browser plugin on Firefox --
(much taken from the Blackdown site)
---- JRE Install --
1. Download Blackdowns JRE package from
at the time of writing this, the most recent version
is in "/01/" and it is "j2re-1.4.2-01-linux-amd64.bin".
2. Make the shell script executable
% chmod +x j2re-1.4.2-01-linux-amd64.bin
3. Move the pacakge to the desired install directory
% mv j2re-1.4.2-01-linux-amd64.bin
4. Change to the wanna-be install directory
% cd /usr/local
5. Extract the contents of the package
6. Add JRE location to the PATH variable
% export PATH=/usr/local/j2re1.4.2/bin:$PATH
----- Plugin Install --
1. Become root and create a symbolic link to the plugin
% ln -s /usr/local/j2re1.4.2/plugin/amd64/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so \
----- Check-up --
To ensure that the Runtime Environment and plugin were installed...
1. Launch Mozilla
2. From the Help Menu, select 'About Plug-ins'
----- Future Reference --
If your Firefox mysteriously crashes, run it in verbose mode.
% firefox --verbose
If you get an error refering to libXp.so, install the derpricated xorg libraries
off of the fc3 install cd (or dvd).
----- Follow-up --
If all has gone well, you should see a large list of supported java MIME types.
If it has failed, try following the instructions again. If you can't get it to work,
e-mail me (email@example.com). WARNING: I may not be much help.