<---- template headericclude ----->
Creating a backup drive image to restore later
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    mjman Guest

Question Creating a backup drive image to restore later

I just posted about this, but I would like to create an image of my / partition of my fc3 installation. I want to shrink my windows partition, and give linux more room. However, there does not seem to be any programs that can resize the ext3 filesystem. Thus, I need to backup my fc3 installation, shrink my ntfs partition, create a new, larger ext3 partition, and restore my drive image to it.

I can't seem to figure out a good way to do this. Does anyone know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Partition Magic 8 for Windows will resize ext3 partitions
    Marcus Wynwood
    www.mwynwood.com
    Judge a man by his questions, not his answers – and don’t forget to add to peoples reputations!
    If Windows sucked, it would be good for something ;)

mjman Guest
    nope, the option isn't available for ext3 partitions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am assuming from your post that you only have 2 partitions????

partition #1, windows, with free space and you want to shrink it, and
    partition #2, Linux, and you want to expand it?

(Note to the unwitting/noobs, I have not personnally used "gpartd" OR "partition magic" i do not make or imply any warranty to their usefulness. you have been warned)

Plan "A":

You can use partition Magic to shrink your windows partition, and then use "gpartd" to grow your Linux partition, it's available here:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Plan "B":

Buy a new 40-80 gig disk, 25-50 $ at circuit city/best buy when you look for their sale price with rebates, as long as you mail the rebate form in!!!

Actually, the fastest/cheapest way might be to just by another hard drive, partition HD#2("fdisk /dev/hdb"), format it ("mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hdb1") , make a mountpoint for it ("mkdir "/t"), mount it temporarily ("mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb1 "/t") copy over the "/usr" directory("cp -parv /usr /t")

Then boot the "rescue" disk, but don't tell it to mount/find an existing installation!,

create a directory "mkdir /t",

mount your linux partition manually "mount -t ext3 /dev/hdawhatever /t",

cd into your hard drive's root partition (now mounted on "t") "cd /t" ,

delete the old "/usr" directory with "rm -rvf usr"

vi the "/t/etc/fstab" file and add an entry for for your new "/usr" partition (should look something like
    this "/dev/hdb2 /usr ext3 defaults 1 0" (that will mount the primary slave's second partition on the "/usr" directory, assuming that you created and copied your ENTIRE /usr directory to this partition before starting this procedure)

reboot (you now should have a few extra gig free on your "/" partition, and your "/usr" partition will have TONS of free space on it.....okay, only if you created/formatted a big partition in "fdisk /dev/hdb" step above

(once rebooted, your Linux install will now use two partitions, one for everything on the "/" filesystem EXCEPT for the "/usr" directory, and one that contains ONLY the "/usr" directory)
    Only dead fish go with the flow....

Hmmm, what did I miss?

mjman Guest
    Thanks for your help guys. In the end, I installed a new fc3 installation on my external drive. Then, from that installation, i used partimage to backup the partitions of my local installation. Then, I booted into windows, and used partition magic to delete my local installation, and create my new, larger / partition. (for some reason, I cannot delete the swap partition using gparted, so i had to use partition magic). Then, I booted to my external fc3 (which proved to be difficult due to the fact that grub.conf was gone), and used partimage to restore my data.