<---- template headericclude ----->
Fedora propaganda
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Fedora propaganda

Is it me or Fedora is lacking some marketing or pehaps it's not required?

I jumped on Fedora ship from a different distribution about two months ago and it was a fine choice. I observe this new community and I noticed lot's of live events which are foss and fedora oriented. I really find it great but somehow Fedora is lacking its presence in internet.

I couldn't find too many "F" semi proffesional websites similiar to lets say omgubuntu, web8udpate etc. Don't you think it would attract more new users and help them to understand why Fedora is a good choice and that linux can be really user friendly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fedora propaganda

I think it would to a point. RedHat has the deep pockets to accomplish something like what Ubuntu is trying for, I don't see why they wouldn't. Just plaster the RedHat name everywhere, and file it under advertising expenses.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eproxy
    Is it me or Fedora is lacking some marketing or pehaps it's not required?
    I offer this thought: the Ubuntu Forums average roughly the same members and slightly few more visitors as the Fedora Forum. Over all, both forums are active about the same. Community is the key to a healthy Linux distro - both Ubuntu and Fedora are doing fine in that regards, just Ubuntu appears to get more notice by non Linux folk

I think you have a good thought - how to present Fedora in a friendlier fashion to those new to Linux. I really dig Fedora 18 with Gnome 3, but how would I go about explaining an install and the function of Gnome 3? Using CLI is the most straight forward way to install Adobe Flash repo, and have it update with normal update process - friendly way to explain that?

Maybe a fun Fedora blog geared toward noobs, or a friendly noob section here on the forums might be a benefit to sharing a great Linux distro, Fedora
    On quest for blue smoke and red rings...
    Fedora 39 | Lenovo Edge 15 | i5 1.7Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 4400 | 6GB RAM | 1TB HDD
    Debian 12 | Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, but I think that the lack of marketing is semi-intentional in case of Fedora.

Let's be honest to ourselves, Fedora is good for us, but not for the typical 'non-Linux' folk, Ubuntu is here for them.
    Friendly way of presenting Fedora and explaining it's internals is a nice idea, but since the distro itself really isn't from that polished camp and stuff tends to break from time to time (much more than in Ubu e.g.), it would be somewhat misplaced?

Not sure, but I think it's meant for folk like us.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maryyy
    Probably true.

Two months after a fedora release, I wipe my notebook's hard drive and do a fresh install. I copy over my data from my home server, and away I go until the next release. For me, this is an easy way to keep an up to date stable system. No trouble with stability, waiting 2 months after a release - bugs are worked out.

I like seeing what is the latest greatest in Gnome and applications, and a fresh install is painless. But I am not sure how many people want to install a system every 6 months - and deal with new changes in DE and applications.

I guess that is the appeal of Ubuntu Unity 12.04 LTS, set it and cruise for 7 years. It is too bad Mint does not do a distro based on Debian 7, when it is released as stable. Debian 7 with Mint's polish, whether it be Cinnamon or Mate, would be a nice LTS distro.
    On quest for blue smoke and red rings...
    Fedora 39 | Lenovo Edge 15 | i5 1.7Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 4400 | 6GB RAM | 1TB HDD
    Debian 12 | Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maryyy
    I don't know, but I think that the lack of marketing is semi-intentional in case of Fedora.

Let's be honest to ourselves, Fedora is good for us, but not for the typical 'non-Linux' folk, Ubuntu is here for them.
    Friendly way of presenting Fedora and explaining it's internals is a nice idea, but since the distro itself really isn't from that polished camp and stuff tends to break from time to time (much more than in Ubu e.g.), it would be somewhat misplaced?

I think it is in the best interest of the Linux community as a whole that people are more familiar with their system than they have been. I have had friends that started off with Ubuntu and others that have started with Fedora. The ones who started with Fedora have stuck with Linux and for the most part can solve their own problems. The ones who started with Ubuntu or one of its derivatives either asked for help on a regular basis or have since stopped using it. Having stuff break is a great opportunity to learn how to fix it, and as a result support yourself.

In some ways I think Fedora babies us because I remember lacking a good portion of the administrative tools that I used on Fedora when I tried out Debian a number of years ago. All the system-config* programs are Red Hat specific, and I took it for granted. Granted the command-line way of doing things is present between them all, but Fedora can cater to new users fairly well. Of course these days its rare that I spend much time fixing anything.
    Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T410, CPU: Intel Core i5 520M, Ram: 8GB DDR3, Hard Drive: 320GB, Graphics: Intel HD, OS: Windows 7 / Arch Linux x86_64
    Desktop: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4, CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200, RAM: 8GB DDR4, Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, Graphics: Asus Radeon RX 550 4GB, OS: Arch Linux x86_64

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a snob. I don't want the unwashed masses running Fedora...

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FedoraProject (link above) has lots of ways to promote Fedora if people will take the initiative.

As you may know, the Forum is not connected to the Project so we can't directly influence how they promote the distro. We're strictly Users Helping Users around here.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx guys for your feedback. I will have have look on FP.