Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th December 2004, 04:12 AM
marko Offline

suggestion- don't default prelink,makewhatis to run

I just installed fedora core 3, I'd like to suggest for future Fedora's that they consider not defaulting the cron system to run these:
makewhatis, slocate, prelink.
These seem to be real resource hogs, and more annoying, they seem to fire off right after you install Fedora. So right when you're trying to get your system setup, prelink comes along and takes 99% of the cpu. Could these at least be run at a nice level to be less hoggy? I don't know if many people do what I do but the first thing I do when I install Fedora is go in the cron.* directories and disable all those from running.

Marko
Old 6th December 2004, 04:52 AM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

You'll need to file a bug or enhancement at bugzilla.redhat.com - posting here won't get any attention from the developers.

As for disabling those by default, it's not likely gonna happen. As you've found, they're set up to be run by cron, at a (local) time when the computer is not likely to be used by a "regular" user. Since cron was just initialized, it'll fire up and try to complete un-executed tasks. What you've effectively done is now completely disable one of the security/protection mechanisms (prelink) - and one of the more powerful "man" commands (apropos).
Linux User #28251 (April '93)
Professional Java Geek :cool:
Old 6th December 2004, 09:22 AM
Jman Offline

Are you sure they aren't nice already? Did you notice any slowdown? If there is idle CPU time might as well use it.

Look on the bright side, you could be like me and keep such crazy hours as to actually be online when said cron jobs run...
Old 7th December 2004, 03:31 AM
crackers Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman
Look on the bright side, you could be like me and keep such crazy hours as to actually be online when said cron jobs run...
I know it's time to be in bed when my 3 AM backup job starts running...
Old 8th December 2004, 02:30 AM
Dog-One Offline

I usually leave the cron stuff intact, but I really dislike the anacron feature, so I do disable that. To me it's kind of like missing Monday Night Football--once it's over, it's over. Those missed jobs can wait until the next night to get run IMHO.
Refresh yourself with the Posting Guidelines........Frequently Asked Questions........Registered Linux User #369513
Old 8th December 2004, 02:01 PM
adam Offline

Could you please simply explain to me what is prelink for? I'm afraid I don't understand a lot from its man page. I switched it to run monthly not daily, hope I won't miss anything important, or would I?

Linux User #374234
ACER TM 4060: Pentium M 760 2.0GHz, 15.4 WXGA wide, 100GB HDD, 1GB DDR2 DC, 802.11b/g wireless LAN :cool:
Old 9th December 2004, 04:46 AM
crackers Offline

Probably not - what it does (I think) is pre-allocates memory slots for shared dynamic libraries. This speeds up program loading by a very large amount, since the memory allotment is calculated ahead of time instead of while a library is being loaded.

Tags
default, makewhatis, prelink, run, suggestion