Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th January 2013, 04:27 PM
cmanL Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
System Requirements

Why did the system requirements increase so much for Fedora 18 ( I think the memory requirement is something like 768 mb now ) as compared to what I was using before ( Fedora 14 ) ? If I run one of the lighter weight "spins" ( like xfce or lxde ) will I be able to run the same software as the main version? Thank for any information!
Old 28th January 2013, 04:33 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox
Re: System Requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanL View Post
Why did the system requirements increase so much for Fedora 18 ( I think the memory requirement is something like 768 mb now ) as compared to what I was using before ( Fedora 14 ) ? If I run one of the lighter weight "spins" ( like xfce or lxde ) will I be able to run the same software as the main version? Thank for any information!
I believe a vanilla install of the LXDE spin would run on less memory. The problem that occurs, is if you then load strong memory applications, like Firefox or LibreOffice. Your DE of LXDE will run fine on less memory, but once you start memory hog applications - your system will bog down.

So I believe Fedora plays it safe, by giving minimum memory recommendations that will cover memory hungry applications - regardless of the DE you choose
Old 28th January 2013, 04:55 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

I think the memory requirement of 768 MB is for anaconda to complete its task. Once installed, lightweight spins might not need too much memory.

if I recall correctly, F17 installer needed only 512 MB but since the new anaconda is still under construction, the memory has not been looked at, I think.

This is not definitive - but as I remember. So, might be inaccurate ...
Old 28th January 2013, 04:57 PM
Ihatewindows Offline
Banned

linuxfirefox

I've had the same issue with VMs. I only have 1GB of memory on this machine, which makes it a stretch to install a VM that needs 768MB. It also doesn't help that it only recognizes around 990 MB of the 1GB.
Quote:
If I run one of the lighter weight "spins" ( like xfce or lxde ) will I be able to run the same software as the main version?
Yes, as long as that software doesn't require too much of your system. But for me with an SSD, memory is just for looks. I don't notice a difference whether I'm running on 256MB of physical RAM or 2GB of swap.
Old 28th January 2013, 08:43 PM
cmanL Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Ok , thanks for the information! My desktop has 4 GB ram and a pretty decent processor , but I still don't want to put a big bloated OS on my system ( I'd just run MS Windows otherwise ). I'm about to test the 32-bit version of the Genome desktop version as soon as I burn the .iso to a DVD ( I've already tried the xfce version ) to see how the two compare. How does the Fendora 18 compare to , say , Windows Xp in terms of system resource usage ?
Old 28th January 2013, 08:53 PM
Ihatewindows Offline
Banned

macossafari

They would be about the same. Damn Small Linux is about as less-resource-hungry as they get. It's about on par with W98 as far as requirements go. I don't particularly have a fast computer, but F18 runs about as good as Windows XP.

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

If you want the best performance, use XFCE or MATE desktop.
Old 28th January 2013, 09:26 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

I have not compared windows Xp with Fedora since I do not have windows xp. But, when compared to Windows 7, Fedora worked far more smoothly and without hogging the system. This comparison was with GNOME on a AMD turion x2 processor/2 GB containing computer.

Tags
requirements