Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st January 2013, 05:52 AM
Ignis Offline

windows_7firefox
OpenCV 2.4.3 package on Fedora 18 is missing "nonfree" folder

Hi,

I've been working with the OpenCV library for a project and I found out that some files I needed were missing when I upgraded from Fedora 17 to Fedora 18. I see that in the upgrade they had also updated OpenCV from 2.3.1 to 2.4.3.

The problem I found was that the difference in the OpenCV versions was that certain functions were moved to a "nonfree" module (http://code.opencv.org/projects/open...geLog#24-beta; see point saying "SIFT and SURF have been moved to a separate module named nonfree to indicate possible legal issues of using those algorithms in user applications")

The problem is compounded when I found that it seems that the Fedora team had removed the "nonfree" module intentionally (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=884885).

I understand that having the nonfree module included in the package might have been against the Fedora team's philosophy but I would like to have that module on my system.

Is there a way to get it without having to do something drastic like installing OpenCV from source?

Tags
fedora, fedora 18, folder, missing, nonfree, opencv, package

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search