Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd December 2004, 09:49 PM
abyss909 Offline

Impossible fedora 3 install

I recently setup a new server box. Its a Gigabyte GA-7VTXH+ w/ Athlon XP 1700+, 256 mgs ram and a 40gig hd. I have made so many coasters trying to install fefora on this system. I have downloaded the iso's a number of times and the md5 always checked out. They would burn from iso to cd without any errors. They will boot and go through the installation steps without any problems (albight failing the media test everytime). But when it starts installing the file setup-2.5.36.1.noarch it cant read the file and i cant get any further. No, i also tried using the -askmethod command during install and i tried doing an http installation. The install will go fine without any reported errors but will no boot.. Just get a bad os error I try using rescue and doing a grub-install but then it says that the hd is a bad block etc. There is no other operating systems on this machine and i have tried an xp and win 2000 solo installs on this machine w/o any probs so im sure the machine is okay...any help would be awesome...peace.
Old 3rd December 2004, 10:46 PM
james_in_denver Offline

Okay, you acrually got an install done, to the point where you could boot using the rescue disk and see your install???.....Have your tried doing a "minimal" installation???....Do you know what type of hard disk you are installing to, and it's Cylinder/head/sector geometry??? compared to your BIOS settings????

Hmmm...what else have I seen go wrong with an install?....

Hmmm, what did I miss?
Old 4th December 2004, 01:08 AM
AdrianCha Offline

What do you use to burn the CDs, also what speed do you burn them at.

I used Nero at x48 and they passed the test nicely.
Old 4th December 2004, 01:34 AM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

Quote:
They will boot and go through the installation steps without any problems (albight failing the media test everytime).
Here lies the problem. Your burn CD failed the test.
Old 4th December 2004, 06:43 AM
abyss909 Offline

I used Burn4Free @ 32x... and as for the media test fail, i thought there was a bug in the kernel so i tried the nocddma sitch....is it just my burning software thats doing it?
Old 4th December 2004, 08:19 AM
imdeemvp Offline

Not all burners are the same. I recommend burning no more than 16x. its about 3-5 mins. more. You may get better results if you do at it the speed.

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D

Tags
fedora, impossible, install