Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th December 2012, 11:03 PM
basportsaddict Offline

windows_8firefox
Fedora 18 won't boot properly after yum update

Version-Release number:
Fedora 18 Beta (i386) running in VMWare Player 5.0.1 with a Windows 8 Pro (32-bit) host operating system.

Description of problem:
This morning (12-4-2012) at around 11:30 am PST, I ran a yum update command to update packages. The update completed successfully and I rebooted. After the reboot, Fedora boots as far as the desktop background before it stops. In other words, the desktop background displays, but the menu bar doesn't and I'm unable to do anything on the desktop. It won't even let me switch to a terminal.

I didn't bother to keep track of which packages got updated, but before this morning, I ran yum update at around 5 pm PST last night (12-3-2012) without a problem. So, these updates became available sometime after 5 pm PST last night.

I already posted this on Bugzilla, but I decided to post it on here as well to see what others think or if anyone else may be having the same problem.
Old 4th December 2012, 11:25 PM
swashplate Offline

linuxfirefox
Question Re: Fedora 18 won't boot properly after yum update

Was it similar to this issue I had a few weeks ago?

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=285731
Old 4th December 2012, 11:40 PM
basportsaddict Offline

windows_8firefox
Re: Fedora 18 won't boot properly after yum update

swashplate:

I don't get the same error messages that you got. In fact, I don't get any error messages at all. Everything appears to boot fine until the desktop background displays, then it stops.

I have automatic login enabled, so I didn't run into problems with the login screen like you did.

The problem very well could be plymouth, but I have no way of downgrading to check because I can't access a terminal, even with CTRL+ALT+F2, etc.
Old 5th December 2012, 01:44 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Can you try, when you first see grub, to get to the editing function, find the line that begins with linux and at the end, where it says, rhgb quiet, remove that and replace it with 3

(That is, the numeral 3)

Then it can boot into text mode. I've been updating pretty regularly without any problems, but boot into text mode and then run startx. (Otherwise, you can probably boot with a live CD and edit grub that way.)
Old 5th December 2012, 02:33 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

As well as smr54's suggestion, can you try something similar but adding 'enforcing=0' instead of the number 3? You may be suffering from the selinux-policy bug that's hitting a few people at the moment.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 5th December 2012, 08:52 AM
basportsaddict Offline

windows_8firefox

smr54 and AdamW:

Thanks for your replies. So far, I'm not able to boot into text mode during boot because GRUB_TIMEOUT is set to 0, so the boot menu doesn't display for me. I'm currently downloading the live CD. I'll try that method next.

---------- Post added 5th December 2012 at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was 4th December 2012 at 09:17 PM ----------

I tried using a live CD to get in and edit grub, but wasn't able to mount the partition where grub was stored. I also tried using the recovery option from a Fedora DVD, but, again, same problem.

I think what I'm going to do is make a clean install of Fedora 17 and wait for the stable version of Fedora 18 to be released next month before upgrading.

Anyway, thanks for your help, guys!
Old 7th December 2012, 01:14 PM
YaoFei Offline

macossafari

I got this problem, running in VMWare Fusion 5.0.2, both 32bit and 64bit version.
Old 7th December 2012, 06:17 PM
marvin_ita Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by basportsaddict View Post
smr54 and AdamW:

Thanks for your replies. So far, I'm not able to boot into text mode during boot because GRUB_TIMEOUT is set to 0, so the boot menu doesn't display for me. I'm currently downloading the live CD. I'll try that method next.[COLOR="Silver"]
You should be able to enter grub menu by holding the shift key while booting
Old 7th December 2012, 07:18 PM
basportsaddict Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin_ita View Post
You should be able to enter grub menu by holding the shift key while booting
I know. I tried that with no luck. It just continued to boot into Fedora.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoFei View Post
I got this problem, running in VMWare Fusion 5.0.2, both 32bit and 64bit version.
Beginning to wonder if this is an isolated problem for VMWare users with Fedora 18 virtual disks.
Old 8th December 2012, 06:30 PM
rudra-b Offline

linuxepiphany

I can ensure this as *not* an isolated bug, as I am facing the same problem in my main machine.
What I have done for time being is generated a xorg.conf (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_xorg.conf) and living with basic video driver, which is almost ok, if you dont play movies etc.
Old 8th December 2012, 06:40 PM
basportsaddict Offline

windows_8firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudra-b View Post
I can ensure this as *not* an isolated bug, as I am facing the same problem in my main machine.
What I have done for time being is generated a xorg.conf (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_xorg.conf) and living with basic video driver, which is almost ok, if you dont play movies etc.
Interesting. If it isn't isolated to just VMWare users, I wonder what is causing this problem since not everyone using Fedora 18 Beta is experiencing this problem.

I don't have my virtual disk of Fedora 18 Beta anymore. Like I said in a previous post, I went back to Fedora 17 and will wait for the stable release of Fedora 18 before upgrading. Perhaps YaoFei, who is experiencing the same problem on VMWare Fusion, can try your solution to see if it works for him.
Old 8th December 2012, 07:55 PM
rudra-b Offline

linuxepiphany

basportsaddict,
do you have hybrid graphics? i.e. both intel/nvidia? I think its more to do with this, rather then Virtual machine
Old 8th December 2012, 08:24 PM
basportsaddict Offline

windows_8firefox

Quote:
basportsaddict,
do you have hybrid graphics? i.e. both intel/nvidia? I think its more to do with this, rather then Virtual machine
No. My graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon™ X1300 with the most recent driver for it installed. Fedora 18 Beta worked in my VMWare Player before I did the update on 12-4-2012. So, Fedora 18 Beta was, at least at one time, compatible with my graphics card.
Old 8th December 2012, 08:38 PM
rudra-b Offline

linuxepiphany

ok,
in that case, its probably the selinux issue.
if you have not tried, you would have tried enforcing=0 in boot!

BTW, I faced the exact problem, installed correctly, worked fine....then I updated the machine and ..."I accept my fate"
Old 8th December 2012, 09:15 PM
basportsaddict Offline

windows_8firefox

Quote:
ok,
in that case, its probably the selinux issue.
if you have not tried, you would have tried enforcing=0 in boot!

BTW, I faced the exact problem, installed correctly, worked fine....then I updated the machine and ..."I accept my fate"
Yeah, tried that too. It doesn't let me edit grub in boot so I can change "enforcing" to 0.

I knew that there were going to be bugs with using a Beta release instead of a stable release, so the fact that this problem came up wasn't a surprise. However, I think from now on, I'll just be patient and only use stable releases instead of trying out Alpha or Beta releases.

Tags
boot, fedora, fedora 18, properly, update, yum