Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th November 2012, 05:39 PM
73RM1N41 Offline

linuxchrome
Fedora 18 impressions.

Im opening this thread just to share impressions of Fedora 18 so far.

In my experience F18 is working very good, very stable although is a beta version. Still im using it as main OS on my pc so i save documents, do some gaming, playing savage 2 and freedoom, they are working great 0 crashes for the moment. And finally navigating with chrome, browsing videos using flash player a lot.

Old 27th November 2012, 05:52 PM
swashplate Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 18 impressions.

Running Linux 3.6.7-5.fc18.i686 as we speak. Must say its very good for an OS that is still in 'development'! Even on my crappy 3 y.o "ex display" Acer Aspire One!

A few glitches here and there, but no huge traumas yet. Been going nearly a month now.

Must say I prefer KDE to Gnome 3 desktop, love to have the little 'Fedora' menu button. But some of the apps like the 'dolphin' file manager take a while to load - wonder if that will change.

I think as long as you run 'sudo yum update' every day, you'll be OK.
Old 27th November 2012, 05:57 PM
73RM1N41 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by swashplate View Post

Must say I prefer KDE to Gnome 3 desktop, love to have the little 'Fedora' menu button. But some of the apps like the 'dolphin' file manager take a while to load - wonder if that will change.

I think as long as you run 'sudo yum update' every day, you'll be OK.
I prefer GNOME, its really confortable and it looks really attractive. Anyway, well said about running YUM update everyday.
Old 27th November 2012, 06:05 PM
swashplate Offline

linuxfirefox

I updated to Fedora 16 last Dec and was presented with the Gnome 3 desktop. I managed (after much googling) to get it 'sort of' working, and struggled with it for a year.

But I really missed the 'Applications Places System' boxes that you could just click and go to wherever you wanted to go rather than having to faff around pressing the 'windows' button etc. I 'sort of' got used to it, it was (as I say) put-uppable with but was always thinking at the back of my mind "this is a P.I.T.A."!

When F16 EOL appeared on the horizon, I looked around for alternatives and found KDE. V happy at the moment, will see how life pans out.

"Looks" don't worry me, I'd rather have "frayed round the edges but works"!

Last edited by swashplate; 27th November 2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: add info
Old 27th November 2012, 06:12 PM
73RM1N41 Offline

linuxchrome

I really prefer GNOME, been in kde a few times but i found it rather different to move arround. Maybe im to attached to gnome but it suits perfectly with all my needs.
Old 27th November 2012, 07:13 PM
caf4926 Offline

linuxfirefox

Using _64 DVD > Selecting Mate Destiop
Results in a openbox login that doesn't work

Gnome installed Fine
Old 27th November 2012, 08:21 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

caf: that's known - MATE isn't actually on the DVD, but it shows up in the environment list by mistake (I won't go into too many details, but this is an annoyingly icky bit of logic that's hard to nail down how you want it every time). You can do a net install or install MATE post-DVD install. Documented at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Commo...ate-dvd-broken .
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 28th November 2012, 12:22 AM
zuser Offline

linuxchrome

Have run _64 live kde a few times on older Acer desktop with no issues so far. Have not yet tried to install.
Old 28th November 2012, 04:47 AM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfirefox

I have some issues, such as having multi-distributions not showing up in the menus. I received an email to mount all the partitions/drives which contain distributions and redo grub2-mkconfig.

I downloaded gparted, but it will not run. Perhaps it is because I did a btfrs installation. I am debating if I should wipe the F18 installation and redo it with lvm (ext4). Would gparted load and run in this case.

Has anyone tried gparted with F18 I686 RC1 and (non)-btfrs?

I cant assign euro symbol to selected keys or do the key actions as available in Fedora 17. I am going to stick to Fedora 17 and only check Fedora 18 every other day.

Leslie
in Montreal
Old 28th November 2012, 05:09 AM
caf4926 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
caf: that's known - MATE isn't actually on the DVD, but it shows up in the environment list by mistake (I won't go into too many details, but this is an annoyingly icky bit of logic that's hard to nail down how you want it every time). You can do a net install or install MATE post-DVD install. Documented at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Commo...ate-dvd-broken .
Silly me
Should have checked.
Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 04:11 PM
Dutchy Offline

linuxfirefox

I just did a yum update and presto now rebuilds the packages in parallel!
Before it never went faster than 1 to 2 MB/s at most but now it was at twice that speed and I could hear the fans rotational speed was increasing.
I never noticed that before so I launched a system monitor and there were multiple applydelta processes IIRC.
Quite a nifty feature if you ask me.
Old 29th November 2012, 04:06 PM
lsatenstein Online

windows_7firefox

I am having quite a few teething problems with F18. Gparted, after a system reboot, and some updates from the last two days and another reboot, is working.

Missing is software update on it's own, which is now in the add/remove software. I guess Gnome people want us to see what is available before we just do an update. I ended up putting yum -y update into the crontab.

Add/Remove software is very very very buggy. Click on some items to install, and if you just happen to miss-click, the install button disappears. I got a popup dialog to approve the rpmfusion key, I clicked on the window and then on the accept, but too late.... A/R software is dead. Really dead.
I will copy and paste this into bugzilla if someone else has not already reported it.

Leslie
in Montreal
Old 29th November 2012, 06:49 PM
Dutchy Offline

linuxfirefox

PackageKit has always been buggy, but at least now it is fast and maybe less buggy.

Last GDM update has screwed things up again pretty badly (can't log in any more, just like some time ago).
Autologin still works fine though.
Old 29th November 2012, 07:56 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxepiphany

apart from Python development in Anjuta IDE I agree that Fedora 18 is mostly stable.

issues I found recently:
  • creating archives via file-roller does not work; it shows the error message "An error occured while loading the archive" always (Xarchiver seems to be more reliable)
  • opening images in nautilus via gnome default Image viewer, does not bring the image window on the top if another image is already opened; on the third image opened it will result in the mouse pointer spinning for a long time

Last edited by Fenrin; 29th November 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 1st December 2012, 06:57 AM
caf4926 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
The NET install went fine BTW
There are issues with the file manager and copying files from a USB pen drive, where the file manager totally just crashes. But I don't have time to work on it right now

Tags
fedora, impressions