FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    gnome-shell high cpu usage

    Hi

    A recent update has bump the cpu usage (80-90%) of gnome-shell all the time, even on idle. I think this has happened 2 days ago. I noticed because the cursor is continuosly blinking... any ideas? I'm on intel hw.

    checking the logs (/var/log/yum.log) I see no update to gnome-shell, the most probable are some mesa related updates. Anyone else noticed something similar?

    thanks,

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: gnome-shell high cpu usage

    for fun check

    Code:
    sudo cat /var/log/secure
    See if anyone has broken into your linux box and is doing evil things with it. Maybe you installed a new service that is always running now?

    When you do HTOP what do you see that is taking up all the cpu%?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: gnome-shell high cpu usage

    Quote Originally Posted by brianblaze
    for fun check

    Code:
    sudo cat /var/log/secure
    See if anyone has broken into your linux box and is doing evil things with it. Maybe you installed a new service that is always running now?

    When you do HTOP what do you see that is taking up all the cpu%?
    Hi

    Thanks for the answer, but no, nobody has broken into my linux box...
    This is a consecuence of a package upgrade, I understand F18 is still under heavy development, but before filling a but report I would like to know if anyone is experiencing the same. top & htop report high cpu usage of gnome-shell as described in my post.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: gnome-shell high cpu usage

    Well on my 18 my cpu usage is almost 0% and what service or process is taking up all that cpu % I didn't see you write that anywhere...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: gnome-shell high cpu usage

    Quote Originally Posted by brianblaze
    Well on my 18 my cpu usage is almost 0% and what service or process is taking up all that cpu % I didn't see you write that anywhere...
    gnome-shell process, are you up to date? which hw do you use?

    After trying to downgrade the kernel a couple of times and coming back to lastest @update-testing kernel the issue has dissapeared... not sure what has happened or changed (since I'm using the same kernel as before), but now gnome-shell is working fine. weird

    ---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

    It's back again... 80% cpu usage...
    Last edited by javiermon; 29th October 2012 at 11:34 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: gnome-shell high cpu usage

    very weird but I am running 18 on a VMWARE VM and it's updated and such

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    /
    Posts
    5,242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: gnome-shell high cpu usage

    There was this bug in F17 - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=812624 - which is still open. Perhaps related?

    Well, this is the only one I can find in bugzilla. Perhaps, you could file a bug against F18?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    4,333
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: gnome-shell high cpu usage

    What graphics card and driver?
    Adam Williamson | awilliam AT redhat DOT com
    Fedora QA
    IRC: adamw | Fedora Chat: @adamwill:fedora.im
    http://www.happyassassin.net

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: gnome-shell high cpu usage

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW
    What graphics card and driver?
    I'm using intel hd 4000 (ivy bridge) in a hp spectre xt. Using lastest xorg-x11-drv-intel.
    I've been searching fedora bugzilla and I think the bug could be https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=812624 (as nonamedotc says)

    I've recreated the directories mentioned in that bug and I no longer have the inotify traces in strace output but the 100 cpu issue is still there. I've tested with older kernels but same issue. I didn't have this problem last week (started on the 28th aprox).

    I've also managed to get gnome-shell out of the 100 cpu state by stopping gdm (systemctl stop gdm.service), relaunching it, logging again and no 100%, but not really sure why or if it will persist across reboots (which I don't think it would).

    Is there any way to get a more reliable log/trace from gnome-shell? Running it from another maching with gdm is not really an option as I don't have more HW available right now.
    Last edited by javiermon; 30th October 2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: more details on my tests

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: gnome-shell high cpu usage

    You are probably hit by https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=870695 and using the fallback llvmpipe renderer, which is causing the high cpu usage. Try downgrading to plymouth-0.8.7-1.fc18 to see if that's the issue.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    11,390
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: gnome-shell high cpu usage

    If it's using llvmpipe, then that's probably the problem. I certainly wouldn't recommend anything using llvmpipe.

    You have a few cases where Gnome tries to use llvmpipe.

    1: Older hardware. Chances are, if you have graphics hardware old enough to require llvmpipe, then you also have an older CPU that can't handle the load llvmpipe puts on it to render graphics.

    2: New hardware that don't have drivers yet. This one is becoming fairly rare, especially on the NVidia side of the graphics adapters. And if you spend the money on new hardware, you want to be able too use it as intended instead of your CPU rendering your graphics.

    3: Embedded system, like ARM. This one is about the same as #1. ARM systems may not have the graphics hardware, but they are also limited in CPU firepower. So, once again, software graphics rendering is useless.

    4: Multi-seat. A lot of the multi-seat adapters only support 2D, so they would be forced to use llvmpipe in Gnome as well. Can you imagine what that is going to be like of you get several multi-seat users on one CPU?

    I believe that instead of forcing llvmpipe upon users that for some reason or other can't run with hardware OpenGL rendering, they should have a choice, like in KDE. Give them a choice of turning off all of the bells and whistles, using Xrender (which works pretty well), or in the case of Gnome (at least for now) going to fallback mode. I say at least for now, because they are looking to remove fallback mode completely.

    My opinion?? Llvmpipe is a piece of garbage for using to render your desktop environment. It's useful for applications that don't run all of the time, but for a desktop, it's useless in it's current state.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: gnome-shell high cpu usage

    Quote Originally Posted by DBelton
    If it's using llvmpipe, then that's probably the problem. I certainly wouldn't recommend anything using llvmpipe.

    You have a few cases where Gnome tries to use llvmpipe.

    1: Older hardware. Chances are, if you have graphics hardware old enough to require llvmpipe, then you also have an older CPU that can't handle the load llvmpipe puts on it to render graphics.

    2: New hardware that don't have drivers yet. This one is becoming fairly rare, especially on the NVidia side of the graphics adapters. And if you spend the money on new hardware, you want to be able too use it as intended instead of your CPU rendering your graphics.

    3: Embedded system, like ARM. This one is about the same as #1. ARM systems may not have the graphics hardware, but they are also limited in CPU firepower. So, once again, software graphics rendering is useless.

    4: Multi-seat. A lot of the multi-seat adapters only support 2D, so they would be forced to use llvmpipe in Gnome as well. Can you imagine what that is going to be like of you get several multi-seat users on one CPU?

    I believe that instead of forcing llvmpipe upon users that for some reason or other can't run with hardware OpenGL rendering, they should have a choice, like in KDE. Give them a choice of turning off all of the bells and whistles, using Xrender (which works pretty well), or in the case of Gnome (at least for now) going to fallback mode. I say at least for now, because they are looking to remove fallback mode completely.

    My opinion?? Llvmpipe is a piece of garbage for using to render your desktop environment. It's useful for applications that don't run all of the time, but for a desktop, it's useless in it's current state.

    I learned something new today thanks

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: gnome-shell high cpu usage

    Quote Originally Posted by kalev
    You are probably hit by https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=870695 and using the fallback llvmpipe renderer, which is causing the high cpu usage. Try downgrading to plymouth-0.8.7-1.fc18 to see if that's the issue.
    Thanks! cannot downgrade (broken dependencies) but make sense, given that if I restart gdm the bug vanishes.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: gnome-shell high cpu usage

    Try:
    Code:
    yum downgrade 'plymouth*'

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: gnome-shell high cpu usage

    Quote Originally Posted by kalev
    Try:
    Code:
    yum downgrade 'plymouth*'
    That's what i've tried before and with --skip-broken.

    sudo yum downgrade plymouth --skip-broken
    [sudo] password for javier:
    Complementos cargados:langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit, remove-with-leaves,
    : show-leaves
    Resolviendo dependencias
    --> Ejecutando prueba de transacción
    ---> Paquete plymouth.x86_64 0:0.8.7-1.fc18 debe ser una desactualización
    ---> Paquete plymouth.x86_64 0:0.8.8-1.fc18 debe ser eliminado

    Paquetes ignorados por problemas de dependencias:
    plymouth-0.8.7-1.fc18.x86_64 de fedora
    policycoreutils-restorecond-2.1.13-17.fc18.x86_64 es uin duplicado con policycoreutils-restorecond-2.1.13-7.fc18.x86_64

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [SOLVED]
    Gnome-shell soft lockup with high load
    By madhatter in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22nd June 2012, 09:09 PM
  2. tigervnc non root usage and gnome shell
    By g8jvm in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30th April 2012, 05:26 PM
  3. high gnome-shell usage
    By Gekoncze in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11th March 2012, 02:36 PM
  4. Moblin Desktop how to logout + gnome-shell memory usage
    By pankajp in forum Fedora 12 Alpha, Beta & Release Candidates
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25th October 2009, 07:24 PM
  5. High CPU Usage
    By posey in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17th May 2006, 12:42 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •