Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th October 2012, 05:58 PM
Thetargos Online

linuxfirefox
Preupgrade testing: Strange message for BTRFS partition

I'm currently testing how the preupgrade route currently works on Fedora 18, and to that end I installed Fedora 17 onto my old Laptop (Toshiba Satellite A215-57437), which is installed with a custom partition scheme (the "old" boot, root, home, swap paradigm) and with btrfs for root and home, with ext4 for boot.

Upon starting the upgrade process I get a message that "sda2" has a label, is not usable and that it is formatted as btrfs, and obviously is not mounted, but all the downloaded packages from preupgrade are located on it, I'm not sure the fact that anaconda fails to properly start has anything to do with this. I have to manually switch to VT2 (ctrl-alt-F2) and from there kill anaconda and the Xorg session, and then I am able to start anaconda again, though briefly so that it only shows the network configuration window, if I click any interface it then crashes. Any pointers?

Edit I'm hessitant to report this a bug on the basis that I can only test on ONE system and I'm not sure how reproducible this is

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.
Old 16th October 2012, 03:51 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome
Re: Preupgrade testing: Strange message for BTRFS partition

I'd check this thread out. I don't think it's even really ready for testing until beta final is out, since it depends on anaconda which right now has lots of issues even with bare disks.

Personally, I would not expect upgrades of weird layouts to work, and mixed ext4 and multiple btrfs volumes I'd consider to be weird.

FWIW, with current versions of GRUB2 you can have a single btrfs volume that is bootable, including having boot, root, and home as different subvols. The -install and -mkconfig scripts produce the correct core.img with baked in subvol prefix, and grub.cfg with rootflags=subvol= parameter.
Old 16th October 2012, 04:32 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox
Re: Preupgrade testing: Strange message for BTRFS partition

"I'm currently testing how the preupgrade route currently works on Fedora 18"

The answer is 'not at all'. preupgrade and indeed anaconda-based upgrades in general are being obsoleted by a new tool in F18 (which you may catch me referring to humorously as the new upgrade unicorn).

The minor drawback is that said new tool is not done yet and not available for testing. Actually no-one except Will Woods, who's writing it, has run it so far. The code's available in a git repo somewhere (I don't have the link handy), but I _really_ don't recommend you try and run it until Will cuts a release and tells people to test it. And probably give it a week or two after that to be safe. =)

The new anaconda in F18 doesn't have upgrade code at all, so preupgrade just fails explosively, as you found out.

This is in fact what's delaying the Beta release at the moment, btw.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 16th October 2012, 06:02 AM
Thetargos Online

Interesting, thanks for the heads up, both.

By the way, chrismurphy, that same layout and partitions format is the same way I used to upgrade from f-16 to f-17 using a pre upgrade route, before wiping out 17 and installing again, to run this test case.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk 2

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.

Tags
btrfs, message, partition, preupgrade, strange, testing