Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 6th October 2012, 06:20 AM
jnbrunet Offline

linuxfirefox
Fedora 17 & Galaxy Samsung S3

Hello,

I just had a hard time trying to access my new Galaxy Samsung SIII with usb. I want to share the solution for people who are as lost as I was some hours ago.

So if you do have a Galaxy Samsung S3, do not give up ! You are at 5 easy steps to get it working.

I'm sorry if I make some gramar or syntax errors, english isn't my primary language.

The problem we get is that the Galaxy Samsung S3 use MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) for the multimedia transfet. In order to get this working, we will using libmtp (the latest version you can get, actually I'm working with the 1.1.5, older probably won't work), and jmtpfs which will mount the phone on a directory.

Alright, here we go.

1. Install requirement
Code:
# sudo yum install gcc-c++ fuse-devel libmtp-devel glib-devel glib2-devel file-devel
2. Installing libMTP
- Download the latest version of libmtp and extract it to your home directory. For this example, it will be ~/libmtp-1.1.5
Code:
# cd ~/libmtp-1.1.5
# ./configure
# make
# sudo make install
3. Installing jmtpfs
Code:
# cd
# wget http://research.jacquette.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/jmtpfs-0.3.tar.gz
# tar xfvz jmtpfs-0.3.tar.gz jmtpfs-0.3
# cd jmtpfs-0.3
# ./configure
# cd src
# make
# sudo make install
4. Allowing other with fuse
Edit the file /etc/fuse.conf and uncomment the line
Code:
# user_allow_other
to
Code:
 user_allow_other
5. Mounting the phone !
Now we are ready to mount the phone. Make sure your Samsung Galaxy S3 is connected with a usb cable

Code:
# mkdir ~/Samsung_Galaxy_S3
# jmtpfs -o allow_other ~/Samsung_Galaxy_S3   (this can take some time (1-2 minutes for me)
You may have a warning after the last command, I get this:

Code:
PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session, trying again after resetting USB interface
LIBMTP libusb: Attempt to reset device
Just ignore it.

You are now ready.

Code:
# cd ~/Samsung_Galaxy_S3
# ls
Phone
# cd Phone
# ls
Alarms       DCIM      Movies         PicSpeed Wallpapers  Ringtones
Android      Download  Music          Pictures             samsungapps
Application  media     Notifications  Podcasts

For unmounting the phone, be sure closing applications that are in the new mount directory (this include terminal)
Code:
fusermount -u ~/Samsung_Galaxy_S3
Thats it !

Hope this help someone...

Last edited by jnbrunet; 6th October 2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 6th October 2012, 04:04 PM
virason Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 17 & Galaxy Samsung S3

Thanks for the post.

Having no problem reading the files on the phone but cannot read anything on the sd card although fedora 17 shows there is something there containing audio files when the S3 is connected to usb. Windows correctly identifies the sd card, sees the files on it and can usb transfer to/from without fault.

Anyone else run into this?
Old 6th October 2012, 06:12 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

Doesnt the exfat-utils and fuse-exfat do the job?
Old 6th October 2012, 06:34 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

Unless you are using F15 or earlier, there is no reason to compile libmtp yourself to get the latest version.
Code:
BASH:~/-> sudo yum list libmtp
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto
Installed Packages
libmtp.x86_64                                                     1.1.5-1.fc16                                                      @updates
Available Packages
libmtp.i686                                                       1.1.5-1.fc16                                                      updates
The mtpfs package is another alternative for mounting mtp devices (uses libmtp). Quoted from the README file included with the mtpfs package:
Quote:
MTPFS
--------

MTPFS is a FUSE filesystem based on libmtp that allows a mtp device
to be browsed as if it were a normal external harddisk

Requirements
------------

FUSE >= 2.2
GLib >= 2.30
libmtp >= 1.1.2

How to mount a filesystem
-------------------------

To mount a device run:

mtpfs <mount_point>

To unmount do:

fusermount -u <mount_point>

Note that you may need to be root to do all this if permissions on the
MTP device are not correct
---<snip>---
Old 16th December 2012, 04:22 PM
binarynut Offline

linuxfirefox

How and what files would I need to edit to get the S2 to work .
jmtpfs compiled and installed okay in F17/S2, but when I did a ;

jmtpfs -o allow_other ~/Samsung_Galaxy_S2
Device 0 (VID=04e8 and PID=6866) is UNKNOWN.
Please report this VID/PID and the device model to the libmtp development team
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Old 30th December 2012, 04:54 AM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

For what it's worth, I was just able to use the go-mtpfs binary to get to my Galaxy SIII. I grabbed the latest binary for amd64, then ran it, and got a message that the usage was mtpfs <mountpoint>

So ran sudo mtpfs /mnt and the files in the device were visible with a ls /mnt.

I was also able to get Ubuntu 12.04 to mount it--installed the various mtpfs packages (I'm not sure which) and it would, when I plugged in the phone, enable me to browse it. I was able to view files on the external SD card that I plugged in, but not do anything with them. If I wanted to, for example, move an epub into the nook app, I could do so from my computer to the phone, but not, (using the Ubuntu file browser) from SD card to the phone (or from SD card to the computer.) I was able to move the file around the phone from SD card and back by using the ES Explorer. There may be easier ways, but that was one of the first that came up in a google search.

I should add that I was doing this in console (as opposed to X) and some googling has indicated that if you're using Gnome, its attempts to automount might cause problems with the go-mtpfs, but I don't know. In Ubuntu, I couldn't get the go-mtpfs to work properly, which might be because Unity was already doing its thing as soon as I'd installed the various mtp stuff.

Anyway, doable--judging from the booklet that came with the phone, probably more easily done on Windows and Apple, but, at least on Ubuntu and Fedora, doable enough to use.

Last edited by smr54; 30th December 2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old 30th December 2012, 08:26 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Ok, after a lot of playing around, I've come up with these results fairly consistently.

On Ubuntu the phone will show up if I plug it in, and I can browse it. I'm not entirely sure which programs I wound up adding that fixed it so it would do that, probably all the mtp programs available. However, at that point, I hadn't realized that it's non-trivial, so I didn't check that hard.

I can do this, but, if I have the external SD card in there, I can't copy files to or, oddly enough, from it, nor can I move them around from, for example, the card to the Nook app's directory for side loaded epubs.

On Fedora, I found that that simple-mtpfs is working pretty well. (Fedora 18). This is command line, and after installing it, I can plug in the phone, then, as root, type simple-mtpfs /mnt and the phone's files will be visible in /mnt. In this case, if I put the card in , it shows up as a separate directory under /mnt, called, oddly enough Card. I am able to freely manipulate files with this, that is, move a movie into the phone's Movies directory, move something on or off the SD card, and so on.

On the phone itself, I installed the free ES File Explorer. Another way to move around files is to put them on the SD card, then put the card in the phone then use this explorer app to copy the file from the card and put it where I want. I've really only done this with a couple of videos my wife made and a DRM free epub--so, I put the videos into Movies and the epub into my Nook app's MyDocuments or whatever it's called.

As I understand it, there is some theoretical advantage to the MTPfs thing, but apparently not working all that transparently with anything but Windows yet--for example, my wife's Mac doesn't see it. My main CentOS machine doesn't work with it, but the laptops have Fedora and Ubuntu, so it's not a big deal.
Old 1st January 2013, 07:09 PM
virason Offline

linuxfirefox

Rechecked the mounts after latest f17 update and both directories are now mounted as gphoto2://[usb:002,009]/store_00010001 and gphoto2://[usb:002,009]/store_00020002 and auto open in Files so it appears the problem has been fixed at least for this Samsunger..

Cheers
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:23 PM
tankist02 Offline

windows_7chrome

Here is a simple method that works perfectly for Nexus 7 and Galaxy Note on F17 and 18:

Code:
sudo yum install simple-mtpfs
mkdir -p ~/mnt/nexus
simple-mtpfs ~/mnt/nexus
fusermount -u ~/mnt/nexus
Old 7th January 2013, 08:20 AM
addnab Offline

linuxchrome

You are a hero. I've been trying to use mtpfs with no luck. Didn't know there was something like jmtpfs. Any idea how to automate once i connect the usb?
Old 8th January 2013, 01:14 AM
binarynut Offline

linuxfirefox

mkdir -p ~/mnt/nexus
simple-mtpfs ~/mnt/nexus

do I run these commands to be installed in /root/mnt/nexus
or
/user directory ~/mnt/nexus

I understand the directories are to be created in /root/mnt/nexus .

# fusermount -u ~/mnt/nexus is not mounting /root/mnt/nexus .
Old 23rd December 2013, 01:30 PM
wsteward Offline

linuxfirefox

For us new smart phone users don't forget to change the USB connect protocol in the Galaxy Samsung S3. The simple-mtpfs works much better when the USB connection protocol is set to MTP from the default PTP.
Old 19th February 2014, 06:40 AM
marklf Offline

linuxchrome
Smile Re: Fedora 17 & Galaxy Samsung S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankist02 View Post
Here is a simple method that works perfectly for Nexus 7 and Galaxy Note on F17 and 18:

Code:
mkdir -p ~/mnt/nexus
simple-mtpfs ~/mnt/nexus
Thanks! You save me from days of searching and trying!
Old 8th March 2014, 12:50 PM
OzzYGuY Offline

linuxfirefox

Just for the record, each time i fresh install Fedora and want to access any of my samsung phones or tablets, i issue the following command :-

sudo yum install gvfs-mtp

Log out, and back in again....and have phone listed in thunar straight away.
Can read / write to both internal and external storage.

Cheers,

OzzY

Last edited by OzzYGuY; 8th March 2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Tags
fedora, galaxy, samsung