Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd September 2012, 09:48 AM
DJRavine Offline

linuxfirefox
Thumbs up Hello All, Loving the Swtich to Fedora

Hello everyone,

I just signed up here and I thought I would say hello to your community. Hello . I just recently destroyed my Windows 7 install with trying to free up space in the appData folder (whatever). As a result I reformatted and decided to install Fedora 17 via USB (after a lot of convincing from a nameless friend ). I must admit, I haven't used a Fedora build since v3, a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away... But I digress, Loving the latest build, very impressive. But being a hardcore gamer it's been tough. PlayOnLinux is a great tool to help get everything up and running, but its no guarantee unfortunately. Oh, I also run a big forum myself, but I haven't had much time to spend on it as of late (Its a development forum also, but not for linux as much).

Anywho, I have been writing my experiences with Fedora 17 on my blog (DJRavine's CodeBook) as of late, have written a few guides which I hope to transpose here. I did a pretty complete setup guide for Fedora 17 + Conky + Weather support.

Ok, I feel I'm rambling now, take it easy everyone (Hello from Australia! lol). I hope I can help contribute to Fedora, as its the start of a revolution. If only the gaming support was improved, (stupid Directx).

FYI: If you want the Conky guide links, I will post them (if I am allowed). Otherwise, just PM me (until I can transpose a few guides onto the forums).
Old 22nd September 2012, 03:58 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Hello All, Loving the Swtich to Fedora

Feel free to post the Conky guide in the guides section. We'll review it and if it's up to snuff, you're good to go. If not ... we still have room in the dungeon.

<....>

Welcome aboard!
Old 1st October 2012, 09:58 AM
jkrx Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRavine View Post
Hello everyone,

I just signed up here and I thought I would say hello to your community. Hello . I just recently destroyed my Windows 7 install with trying to free up space in the appData folder (whatever). As a result I reformatted and decided to install Fedora 17 via USB (after a lot of convincing from a nameless friend ). I must admit, I haven't used a Fedora build since v3, a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away... But I digress, Loving the latest build, very impressive. But being a hardcore gamer it's been tough. PlayOnLinux is a great tool to help get everything up and running, but its no guarantee unfortunately. Oh, I also run a big forum myself, but I haven't had much time to spend on it as of late (Its a development forum also, but not for linux as much).

Anywho, I have been writing my experiences with Fedora 17 on my blog (DJRavine's CodeBook) as of late, have written a few guides which I hope to transpose here. I did a pretty complete setup guide for Fedora 17 + Conky + Weather support.

Ok, I feel I'm rambling now, take it easy everyone (Hello from Australia! lol). I hope I can help contribute to Fedora, as its the start of a revolution. If only the gaming support was improved, (stupid Directx).

FYI: If you want the Conky guide links, I will post them (if I am allowed). Otherwise, just PM me (until I can transpose a few guides onto the forums).
Are you the real DJ Ravine? The happy hardcoring asian guy I follow on youtube?
Old 7th October 2012, 07:14 PM
jwele Offline

linuxfirefox

Welcome back! Are you a real DJ? Do you have any beats to share?
Old 8th October 2012, 04:25 AM
w2ibc Offline

linuxmidori

welcome to fedora.

Like you I just made the move to fedora from the buntu side of things... life is much better
Old 13th October 2012, 07:59 PM
irockster9 Offline

windows_7firefox

Hi I just joined as I installed Fedora 17 on my new laptop as well! I did so as a dual boot (atm with W7) since Windows 8 is coming out and all I might as well, and plus it'll be great for me to start a new hobby I've always wanted to do (graphic design) and I've heard that there are great open source alternatives to the quite expensive adobe suite on Linux. This will also give me the focus as much of my Windows installation consists of video games but soon I'll have my Fedora Graphic Studio

At the moment I've only finished installation and thus still setting up everything but so far everything has been coming along perfectly. If anyone here is a graphic designer on Linux I'd gladly appreciate any pointers you can give me, and I hopefully it all works out for my self and both of you above ( DJ and w2ibc)

Thank you for making this beautiful system for free!
Old 13th October 2012, 08:19 PM
jwele Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by irockster9 View Post
Hi I just joined as I installed Fedora 17 on my new laptop as well! I did so as a dual boot (atm with W7) since Windows 8 is coming out and all I might as well, and plus it'll be great for me to start a new hobby I've always wanted to do (graphic design) and I've heard that there are great open source alternatives to the quite expensive adobe suite on Linux. This will also give me the focus as much of my Windows installation consists of video games but soon I'll have my Fedora Graphic Studio

At the moment I've only finished installation and thus still setting up everything but so far everything has been coming along perfectly. If anyone here is a graphic designer on Linux I'd gladly appreciate any pointers you can give me, and I hopefully it all works out for my self and both of you above ( DJ and w2ibc)

Thank you for making this beautiful system for free!
Illustartor = inkscape
Photoshop = Gimp
Adobe Audition = Audacity

You can find a more comprehensive list of Adobe alternatives, or any program for that matter, on

http://www.osalt.com
Old 14th October 2012, 04:19 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwele View Post
Illustartor = inkscape
Photoshop = Gimp
Adobe Audition = Audacity

You can find a more comprehensive list of Adobe alternatives, or any program for that matter, on

http://www.osalt.com
I like Scribus for desktop and web publishing, a good program, worth a look
Old 14th October 2012, 04:33 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

While I admit that there are some areas of linux applications that are lacking, most of the main areas are covered.

It might not be the glitz and glamour of the windows applications, but most will get the job done, some get it done easier, some don't.

One thing to look at if you are doing graphics is the Fedora design suite spin. It installs a lot of the graphics applications for you.

And BBQdave.. it has scribus in it as one of the applications installed

You can grab the design suite spin here:
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/design/#downloads
Old 15th October 2012, 04:43 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
You can grab the design suite spin here:
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/design/#downloads
I did not know there was a Design Suite Spin, that's really cool.

Though I think I will hang with the Xfce Spin

Tags
community, djravine, greet