Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th September 2012, 03:00 AM
b4time Offline
Registered viewer

linuxfirefox
ffmpeg

just wondering if any is having trouble with fedora 17 kde and ffmpeg.Winff can't get it to run braseo goes into a loop at 54 megs .the only program that will get it to work is bombono and that gives the incorrect size on the disk.It states it will be 4.2 gigs but when complete the files total 1.2 gigs.I'm guessing it's ffmpeg and it presets.Its what all the fronts have in common.I'm running fedora 17 64 kde with all programs right out of the repos.

Is ffmpeg running fine on the 32 bit version of fedora 17 or is it fubar all the way around? any input is welcome. Thanks all
Old 17th September 2012, 04:14 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: ffmpeg

I use ffmpeg for a variety of things, with the dwm desktop, and it's working as expected for me with re-encoding. For playing videos, I generally use mplayer, again with no problem. For any burning, I use wodim (the replacement for cdrecord.)

As for ffmpeg itself, I don't use it for anything save re-encoding, and it's giving me no trouble on Fedora 17, 64 bit.
Old 17th September 2012, 04:52 AM
b4time Offline
Registered viewer

linuxfirefox

smr54 do you use the command line when using ffmpeg?have you tried burning a stand alone dvd for the tv?Do you think the kde has something to do with my trouble?Fedora kde has been giving me some trouble as far as system settings and python desktop widgets giving me script initialization error.I was also missing some dependences for some programs like google earth and a few others but this seems to be fedora in general it seems but I could be wrong.looks like I'm going to have to learn how to use terminal to do what I want just to test ffmpeg on my cpu.I'll need to find a small mp4 file for testing as thats what I've been converting to dvd for the tv.Thanks for the reply
Old 17th September 2012, 06:21 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Yes, I pretty much only use the command line.

I'm going to start by sending you to a page of mine, that pretty much covers what little I know.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/dvds.html

I use tovid to do most of my DVDs for tabletop, and strongly recommend it. I don't know much about any of the GUI tools, so if you ask me, do I think it's the desktop or whatever, I would just shrug and say, Yeah, maybe.

When you say that the various widgets are giving you trouble though, my answer is that using CLI tools just eliminates one more possible cause of problems.
Old 17th September 2012, 12:13 PM
b4time Offline
Registered viewer

linuxfirefox

Thanks smr54 for the page and the input I'll give what you suggest a try.
Old 18th September 2012, 03:31 AM
b4time Offline
Registered viewer

linuxfirefox

well it turns out after poking around and reading that I was missing some dvd libraries.Very important for making dvds lol It seems autoten did not install them.if you want something done right do it yourself.<some things never change.
Old 18th September 2012, 03:39 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Glad you got it fixed. As you're the thread starter, if you consider it fixed, you can mark it solved by clicking the thread tool link. (Probably help if you mention which libraries turned out to be missing, for the next person with the problem.)
Old 19th September 2012, 06:36 PM
b4time Offline
Registered viewer

linuxfirefox

well Bombono is fixed winff and k9copy are still bad.brasero and Devede I have not tried yet.I followed section 6 on this link http://www.my-guides.net/en/guides/l...allation-guide

Quote:
6. DVD & Video

**Note: To install many of the following packages you must have the RPM Fusion Repository enabled as described here . If you have most probably you will prompted to search automatically for the needed codecs. They will automatically installed. As simple as that!

* DVD playback

In order to play DVDs you must install the appropriate codecs.

su -c 'yum install libdvdread libdvdnav lsdvd'

Those files are enough for playing your non encrypted DVDs. However if you want to decrypt an encrypted DVD you need libdvdcss which isn't included in RPM Fusion because of legal issues in some countries such as the US. As mentioned in RPM Fusion . Opinions between the members of RPM Ffusion differ on the legality of libdvdcss, however no one is ready to vouch for it resuming the legal responsibilities. Therefore libdvdcss is being dropped. See also the comments on legal issues in the link above.

**Note: Instead you can use ATrpms for installing libdvdcss.

Add the following to a file called atrpms.repo in /etc/yum.repos.d/

[atrpms]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - ATrpms
baseurl=http://dl.atrpms.net/f$releasever-$basearch/atrpms/stable
gpgkey=http://ATrpms.net/RPM-GPG-KEY.atrpms
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1

Afterwards install the package like this.

sudo rpm --import http://packages.atrpms.net/RPM-GPG-KEY.atrpms
sudo yum --enablerepo=atrpms install libdvdcss
when I get a chance I'll try to remove and reinstall the other programs.certainly winff for sure and post back.

Last edited by b4time; 19th September 2012 at 06:41 PM.

Tags
ffmpeg