Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th September 2012, 02:38 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Either I'm getting blind in my old age ...

... or I'm just not seeing the place/means to tell Gnome3/Nautilus (in F16) to "preview" audio files when the mouse dwells on them for a certain duration.

Or ... in their wisdom ... have the wonder-kids whiz-wizards over at Gnome killed that function in the name of simplicity and a uniform(ly) (bad) user experience? <....>

As I recall in F11, it was in the nautilus preferences. In F16? Uhm ... not so much. (That I've located, anyway.)
Old 17th September 2012, 02:54 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Either I'm getting blind in my old age ...

I believe they killed the preview with just the mouse hover.

sushi is the previewer for nautilus in gnome now, but I think it takes a right click on the file

yum install sushi
Old 17th September 2012, 04:02 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Good GRIEF! I thought I was just kidding about the removed part, and had just missed it somewhere. <....>
Old 17th September 2012, 04:16 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
sushi is the previewer for nautilus in gnome now, but I think it takes a right click on the file
<....>

Rumour has it there's a poke on the space bar in the mix somewhere, too.

WTH?! I distinctly remember them saying they were trying to make the OS more transparent to the user. So now, what was a simple, predictable, mouse-over function takes another layer of software, and two hands/actions?!

<....>

I'm normally not susceptible to wild-eyed conspiracy theories and tin-foil hats <....> ... but I'm seriously beginning to wonder if these Gnome guys aren't secretly collecting cheques under the table from Microsoft and/or Apple! <....>
Old 17th September 2012, 05:12 AM
cazo Offline

linuxchrome

That "audio preview" feature was one of my favorites, too. It was one of the things I missed when I had to occasionally use Windows. The work-around with sushi is to click on the file & hit the <Space> bar. Sushi works with several types of files (audio, video, images, pdf, html, text, etc.). I think it still needs some work, like recognizing keystrokes (cursors, page up/down, etc.). I think <Space> and <Esc> are the only two it does recognize. It's a lot like (an early version of) gloobus-preview, if you ever used that.

Last edited by cazo; 17th September 2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old 17th September 2012, 05:36 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Good GRIEF! I thought I was just kidding about the removed part, and had just missed it somewhere. <....>
You should know better than that! After all, you are talking about Gnome here.

And yep, I believe the spacebar will do it instead of a right click (and select it form the menu)

Tags
age, blind