FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Unhappy Vmware Workstation 9 problems Fedora 17

    I installed VMware Desktop 9, first as an update to VMware Workstation 8.03, and everything went smooth the installer told me that VM Workstation 8 would be uninstalled and VM Workstation 9 installed... As I said everything went smooth...

    After installation I try to run it, but I already knew it would fail because I use kernel 3.5.3 (still I tried for no reason).

    Anyway I downloaded the patch and started it...

    The problem not is that VMware Workstation 9 starts, after a long time, when I try to open one of my Virtual Machines it says "Unable to change virtual machine power state: Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to".

    Okay I use VMware Workstation a long time so no problems see errors like this before, so I had the idea that something did go wrong upgrading or installing... so uninstalled VMware Workstation and reinstalled it as fresh install (even downloaded a new bundle-bin file from vmware.com)

    The result the same errors and nothing what I do change that...

    If I try to run the VMware kernel patch again, it says patched already...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Vmware Workstation 9 problems Fedora 17

    Really nobody using Fedora 17 with VMware Workstation 9 ....??

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tehran
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Vmware Workstation 9 problems Fedora 17

    In some kernel version of fedora it is working fine but in most of them it is not working.
    you must find a compatible kernel version

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Vmware Workstation 9 problems Fedora 17

    I'm not using kernel 3.5.4 and still it will not work, Oracle VirtualBox 4.2 works fine... But I still have 2 old virtualmachines that use4 VMware and would love to be able to use them...

    If I try to start VMware I get a message that I have to recompile the kernel modules and it seem to work fine until VMware wants to start the services

    See log file as attachment
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Nice10150; 26th September 2012 at 10:15 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Vmware Workstation 9 problems Fedora 17

    Do you have SELinux enabled? After this mornings patch install I had to go through the troubleshooting process as errors were popping up similar to the ones you report, however the troubleshooting tool for selinux is great, you can just copy and paste the recommended commands to resolve your issue.
    It fixed my vmware player.
    The built in selinux troubleshooting tool lets us mere mortals resolve the problems.

    Cheers, Peter.
    My desktop - Fedora 18 64 bit, my laptop - Fedora 17 64 bit. Both on Gnome 3.
    Everything else is a VM!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tehran
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cool Re: Vmware Workstation 9 problems Fedora 17

    I face a lot of problem in vmware any time I upgrade the kernel.
    It's just worked in some kernels.I have the same problem on 3.5.4 and 3.6
    You can download 3.3.4-5.fc17 from rpm-find and downgrade your kernel then it will work fine.
    use "rpm -ivh --force kernel-X.X... " command to downgrade your kernel.
    Last edited by mostafa83; 26th September 2012 at 01:36 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Vmware Workstation 9 problems Fedora 17

    I finally got Vmware Workstation 9 working, what I did is I removed vmware-workstation, removed all files I could still find and reinstalled Vmware Workstation 9 while booted in kernel 3.5.3 – installation went smooth, I did the kernel patch which also went without a hiccup... and to my surprise this installation also worked when I booted in kernel 3.5.4-2 (while my multiple times trying to install Vmware Workstation and getting it to run with kernel 3.5.4 failed)

    Please do not ask me why installing Vmware Workstation 9 works for all kernel if installed with kernel 3.5.3 as I have no idea...

Similar Threads

  1. about Fedora 14 x64 in vmware workstation
    By wilson1808 in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th August 2011, 01:42 PM
  2. VMware workstation install problems on Fedora 14 64 bit
    By pmccrackan in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 8th August 2011, 09:51 AM
  3. Fedora 9 with VMWare Workstation 5?
    By SDWill92116 in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15th September 2008, 07:53 PM
  4. Problems with VMware Workstation 6.0.2 on FC8
    By hokousha in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12th February 2008, 01:57 PM
  5. VMware Workstation Problems on new Kernal..
    By Elite_Gamer04 in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25th June 2004, 04:08 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •