I noticed a few unresolved posts regarding the use of Apache and the JK2 connector with Tomcat 5 on Fedora Core (1 and above). Well, I never really needed both till today... Like many, I spent a few frustrating hours, but finally got it going by cut & pasting bits and pieces of tutorials and how tos that were not Fedora-specific.
Here is a quick summary of how I got this setup to work without having to compile everything from scratch (I'm a big fan of up2date ;o) - I may edit this later to make it more detailed:
1) Download and install J2SDK 1.4.2 RPM off SUN's site,
2) Download and uncompress Tomcat 5 off of Apache's site (you may want to make a service configuration file such as "tomcatd" so you can add Tomcat as a boot service),
3) Download and install Apache 2.0.50 via the "up2date httpd" command,
4) Download and install mod_jk2 connector via the "up2date mod_jk2" command,
5) Download and uncompress Fedora-Core-1-i386.tar.gz (you'll find it here: http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/t...inaries/linux/
) to a tmp directory,
6) Copy the libjkjni.so file from the uncompressed directory to /usr/lib/httpd/modules/,
7) Create a symbolic link of that file in the J2SDK librairies directory: ln -s /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_05/jre/lib/i386/libjkjni.so libjkjni.so,
8) Since up2date already did most of the hard JK2 configuration for Apache, finish up the installation by following these simple modifications starting at #5: http://mikepalmer.net/howto/tomcat/mod_jk2.html
9) Add "tomcatd" and "httpd" to the boot sequence, start "tomcatd", start "httpd" and you should be able to use Tomcat's Manager application via Apache on port 80 (http://localhost/manager/html
10) Don't forget to open up port 80 in your firewall so others can access your apache server!!! If you need to have access to your Tomcat web applications, just stop apache and tomcat, add a connector mapping to your webapps's context in /usr/local/apache/conf/workers2.properties such as:
I did all the above on my FC2 box and both Apache 2 and Tomcat 5 are playing nice together.