Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th August 2012, 04:09 PM
Antrikssh Offline

linuxfirefox
Question What is the basic/technical difference between windows, Linux, Mac?

Hello,
I want to know about the technical/basic difference between windows, Linux, Mac o/s. If you tell me core difference between these o/s then its very helpfull for me.Please I request you to tell me in points that will be easier way to understand the difference not for me also for all those people who want to you about this topic.

Thanks and Regard,
Antrikssh...

Last edited by Antrikssh; 30th August 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 30th August 2012, 06:06 PM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox
Re: What is the basic/technical difference between windows, Linux, Mac?

Windows - ABI is same since 1985, which makes window's the strongest selling point, apart from that it has a strong following, due to various reasons. But lot of other things are weak which cannot be listed. Its just too many.

Linux - Its not perfect. But it has the most flexibility(becoz its open source) and it is one of the strengths that makes linux run in almost all platforms.

Mac OS X- I really don't think it has anything special compared to Windows or Linux. Maybe the hardware is great. But its comes at a price. Maybe you can say they made unix into ornamental product !
Old 30th August 2012, 07:28 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Moved to Linux Chat.
Old 30th August 2012, 08:28 PM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome

Honestly, the main technical differences between Mac and Linux is that Mac uses the open source Mach kernel (NOT UNIX, as many Apple fans believe) and is otherwise closed source, and Linux uses the Linux kernel and is mostly or all open source (depending on distro).

Windows itself is entirely closed source, uses its own kernel, and any open source software is up to the user; typical Windows users have no open source software at all.
Old 30th August 2012, 10:20 PM
MauserM98 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanej View Post
Windows itself is entirely closed source, uses its own kernel, and any open source software is up to the user; typical Windows users have no open source software at all.

Eeehhmm. Firefox is commonly used. Google Chrome is partly open source. Open Office is used by many PC users. Thunderbird is quite much used too. So to say that open source programmes is not commonly used by Windows users is not directly correct.
Old 30th August 2012, 11:50 PM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome

I'm not sure what the Open Office/LibreOffice/Thunderbird penetration is with Windows; most people I know just use MS Office, probably because it's what they use at work (you'd think companies would want to save money, but the "who is the big kahuna who has solved this problem" mentalality of managers leads to name-brand software that generally costs a lot more). I admit I forgot about Firefox (I use Chrome and generally use Firefox only if I need to use an add-on for it, Amazon Instant Video decides to act funny with Chrome for some reason, or I need to use all three google accounts I have access to at once (which will hopefully and probably never happen) (parentheses within parentheses... this post feels like scheme!)). With that exception, I believe the point still stands. The people I'm with most of the time are mostly on the Chromium side of the Chromium/Chrome debate and as such consider Chrome proprietary (though I think the main proprietary parts are the PDF reader and flash plugin... I don't know what the other differences are other than the color scheme of the logo).
Old 31st August 2012, 12:33 AM
ElderSnake Offline

linuxchrome

I use LibreOffice on as many computers as I can in my house. Then when some family member inevitably notices it and says "What is this, why not just use Microsoft Office?". I get very mad...

Still we manage to co-exist somehow, even with the MS Office computers.

As for technical differences...well there are way too many really. Safe to say though, Linux and Mac are Unix-like (technically Mac is certified Unix) operating systems and Windows... is not. It's own entity entirely built by M$.
Old 31st August 2012, 03:21 AM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderSnake View Post
(technically Mac is certified Unix)
Technically Mac uses the Mach kernel and not the UNIX kernel. Linux is actually closer to UNIX than Mac is, since Linux doesn't replace concepts like everything being a file or the syscall interface.
Old 31st August 2012, 05:34 AM
pete_1967 Offline
Clueless in a Cuckooland

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanej View Post
Technically Mac uses the Mach kernel and not the UNIX kernel. Linux is actually closer to UNIX than Mac is, since Linux doesn't replace concepts like everything being a file or the syscall interface.
So what? It's still certified Unix.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 31st August 2012, 07:06 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox

OSX doesn't contain the Mach microkernel architecture (which is the "big deal"), and it took liberally from FreeBSD & NetBSD - so claiming that OSX is MACH is about like claiming a Volkswagen is a Porsche; a grain of truth but fundamentally wrong. It's definitely a flavor of UNIX an in parts heavily overlaps BSDs.

There are tens of thousands of technical differences between these OSes so it's a bit silly to try to answer the OP question. No better than , "What are the biological differences between a lobster and a duck ?" .

Last edited by stevea; 31st August 2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 31st August 2012, 11:11 AM
Antrikssh Offline

linuxfirefox

It's not a fight guys just chill and send your views so that our discussion will be helpfull to all those who suffer for this question like me. All the post I read but no one explane me answer of basic question like :-

1> Linux is all about file then, windows and mac work on what?
2> Kernel of all the o/s build by using c, c++ then what is the basic things that make all o/s different from each other?
3>why Linux is most preferable o/s for server?
4>Linux used 319 system calls then how many in windows and mac?
And many more question are strick in my mind when I read about any o/s(Linux, Windows, Mac). All the post that you send most of them are easily find out on net but this type of information that i mention is not found on net until you read all this o/s on depth.
Old 31st August 2012, 03:23 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
OSX doesn't contain the Mach microkernel architecture (which is the "big deal"), and it took liberally from FreeBSD & NetBSD - so claiming that OSX is MACH is about like claiming a Volkswagen is a Porsche; a grain of truth but fundamentally wrong. It's definitely a flavor of UNIX an in parts heavily overlaps BSDs.

There are tens of thousands of technical differences between these OSes so it's a bit silly to try to answer the OP question. No better than , "What are the biological differences between a lobster and a duck ?" .
Feathers. <....>
Old 31st August 2012, 04:10 PM
ocratato Online

linuxfirefox

Ignoring the deep and fundamental philosophical differences between them is going to be difficult - but here goes.

As a developer I see the one of the main technical differences as the process model between Windows and Linux. A Windows solution will often be a single executable, with multiple threads, while a Linux solution to the same problem will often be multiple communicating processes. This is because (as I understand it) Windows processes are much more expensive to initialise that Linux processes.

For this reason you will often find a Linux GUI program is often just a thin layer over an underlying command line program, perhaps with a layer of shell script between them. The corresponding Windows program would attempt to perform the entire task within a single process - and if you are not careful the GUI aspects can penetrate deep into the design making UI changes potentially painful.

As another poster mentioned, the Windows ABI has been static for a very long time. This means that a binary of a program written a long time ago may still execute. The Linux ABI is a lot less stable. This is fine for open source programs which can all be quickly and easily recompiled, but is a bit of a problem for closed source commercial software.

On the other hand the UNIX/Linux software model is very stable. I have incorporated source code into Linux programs that was written decades before Linux was even thought of. The reason I moved from Windows (3.11) to Linux was that when W95 was released I realised that almost my entire investment in software and documentation was almost worthless and I would have to begin again with a whole new model.

It is common practice when administering large Windows environments to effectively have just a single application program running on a server. This was one of the main driving forces behind the introduction of virtual machines. The reason is that Windows will sometimes not reclaim all the resources used by a program, necessitating an occasional reboot. Linux/UNIX are very thorough at cleaning up after exiting programs. I have had several different versions of a complex system running simultaneously on the one UNIX server (without resorting to virtual machines).

Linux/UNIX have always been multiuser systems. This is a relatively recent capability for Windows (and I am sure others can name situations where it still gets a bit messy.)

Configuration of Linux processes is usually via simple text files. This is/was a significant advantage when dealing with large numbers of machines. Windows has responded by introducing PowerShell.

UNIX was originally developed over a considerable period of time by many different organisations. By necessity this forced the use of well defined interfaces so that modules could be replaced. The component parts can thus be developed independently. Windows tends to be a much more monilithic structure - though I believe that it is becoming steadily more modularised since Vista.

One of the commonly mentioned differences is in the interprocess communications (IPC) capabilities. UNIX/Linux have always had excellent ability to move text data between processes, but for more complex objects it gets very messy very quickly. Windows has its COM model which has proven to be quite effective for communicating objects between processes. UNIX/Linux has had a variety ranging from RPC, through CORBA and recently DBus and none are as easy to use as they should be. The main advantage of COM is that allows binary components, possibly from different vendors, to be combined without having to recompile. This is obviously important in the closed source commercial Windows environment, but in an open source environment where you can easily recompile the need is not pressing.

I would put these down as the differences at the architectural level. As another poster said - these are what differentiates a lobster from a duck.
Old 31st August 2012, 04:21 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antrikssh View Post
All the post I read but no one explane me answer of basic question...
Linux is Choice

And the freedom to choose.

I would also offer that Linux gives the user a chance to learn and grow with the system, to that end, I am not sure how you use Linux and not learn and grow

Mac is a closed garden and Windows is a product. Linux is community.
Old 31st August 2012, 04:51 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Cool Re: What is the basic/technical difference between windows, Linux, Mac?

Windows 7 Ultimate = ~$300.00 USD (Boxed)
Installs allowed=one
MAC OS-10 Mountain lion ~$1,200.00 USD (Have to buy the hardware, too.) ~$20.00 USD to upgrade
Installs allowed=one.
Linux = ~$.50 USD (The cost of the CD)
Installs allowed=unlimited
The rest is pretty much cosmetic, habitual and/or situationally determined.

Tags
basic or technical, difference, linux, mac, windows