Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th August 2012, 10:19 PM
xtian Offline

linuxfirefox
Easy question about F17 user permissions in X Windows

Since upgrading to Beefy Miracle (uug) my primary user still has to password unlock to mount a disk. I thought I would have remembered how to fix this by now. Not! This is my venerable r40 Dinopad and so there is no need for such security. And there are two parts to the security. One is I don't have sufficient permissions to get simple common things to work like play audio and video files (where I usually watch them in root account's X Windows session) or to have the Log Out Dialog display shutdown (in case you're confused by that last one, I boot to the term and start xwindows manually).

I've added my primary user to the wheel, but I can't recall what all else needs to happen.
I also installed sudo with no password for the normal user. What else?

Last edited by xtian; 13th August 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 14th August 2012, 01:34 AM
Penguinclaw Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Easy question about F17 user permissions in X Windows

Eeek you shouldn't be using root for watching videos and playing audio.... really bad security practice. Also if you're going to use sudo then it should be set to use your password. Personally I like to have a root account and me as the administrator; other users can then be set with limited accounts (which you seem to have given yourself for some reason). I'd recommend reviewing your user setup to a much more secure solution.
Old 14th August 2012, 11:25 PM
xtian Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinclaw View Post
Eeek ...really bad security practice. .
haha. I guess you missed the reference to Dinopad = Thinkpad or laptop. (and considering the work I did to put LUKS encryption, secutiry is my last concern). Your alarm at my use of root xwindows can only be matched by my annoyance at having to log out and use terminal commands to shut down the computer. Or, that whenever I put in a dvd, cd, etc, I have to enter my own user password (not root) to mount the media, even though I've obviously entered the same to start any session of the user. The default security is inconvienient to say the least in a laptop configuration.
Old 15th August 2012, 04:47 PM
blasedef Offline

linuxchrome

Does this help the shutdown problem? https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...hut-down-menu/
Old 16th August 2012, 01:35 AM
xtian Offline

linuxfirefox

I don't use Gnome3 but XFCE... The root does have these features enabled, all of the one's I've listed in fact. Why is this not simply a case of expanding the permissions of the primary user through users and groups or similar?

Tags
easy, f17, permissions, question, user, windows