FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Skype UI going mad?! How to fix Qt?

    Well the problem begings today
    my skype 2.x worked pretty well till this day stated to show spoiled UI.
    I installed 4.0.x it shows the same rubbish:


    I upgraded to latest kernel and so, did not help.
    However I noticed that other programs using Qt graphical toolkit also stopped working (for example GoldenDict)

    I beleive that problem in some config files of Qt which accumulated some wrong information about fonts and my screen resolution.
    What may be fixed?

    ---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

    The same happens wiht GUI of VirtualBox!

    help! What is going on?

    have already tried deleting Trolltech.conf
    from everywhere...
    And I am noticed that the problem appears undet different user-ids -- so the problem is not in local configuration

    ---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

    tried to run qtconfig-qt4, result is the same:

  2. #2
    stevea Guest

    Re: Skype UI going mad?! How to fix Qt?

    Skype 4.0.0.7 works here,
    That looks like maybe a localization issue, but qt is not my forte'.
    Skype->Options->General is worth a look, for language and layout options.
    You might want to remove the skype user config directory (~/.config/Skype/) if you had an older veriosn installed.

    Hate some closed source today !!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Skype UI going mad?! How to fix Qt?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevea
    Skype 4.0.0.7 works here,
    That looks like maybe a localization issue, but qt is not my forte'.
    Skype->Options->General is worth a look, for language and layout options.
    You might want to remove the skype user config directory (~/.config/Skype/) if you had an older veriosn installed.

    Hate some closed source today !!
    Thank you, but not it is not the case... All Qt dependent applications got mad.
    Deleted ~/.Skype and all other stuff related Qt
    UI is so bad that I even cannot go thru menus and dialogs... (even accepting User Agreement in skype) Pretty hell
    Luckily I have CentOS on the second machine

    ---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

    OMG!
    It disappeared once I got home.
    Absolutely unexplainable...
    However I suspect one piece of software that may interfere into Qt configuration, it is IBM Integration Desingner -- I suspect that they mixed SWT, XUL and Qt usage in one Eclipse-based product... I hope I wrong since SWT + XUL is absolute hell... and adding here Qt even worse... But how process running under non-root user may spoil configuration of Qt for all users :?

  4. #4
    stevea Guest

    Re: Skype UI going mad?! How to fix Qt?

    So you had these clues, you didn't bother to mention them,
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=282819

    The answer is that skype v4 mostly works out of the box with Fedora QT and you buggered it up somehow.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Skype UI going mad?! How to fix Qt?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevea
    The answer is that skype v4 mostly works out of the box with Fedora QT and you buggered it up somehow.
    Alas, I was wrong suspecting IBM software in breaking Qt. Today I started machine and got the same problem... Also I tried to run from console.
    qtconfig-qt4
    Code:
    QNativeImage: Unable to attach to shared memory segment. 
    X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
      Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
      Resource id:  0x0
    X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
      Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
      Resource id:  0x0
    X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
      Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
      Resource id:  0x0
    X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
      Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
      Resource id:  0x0
    QNativeImage: Unable to attach to shared memory segment. 
    X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
      Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
      Resource id:  0x0
    X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
      Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
      Resource id:  0x0
    google search by QNativeImage: Unable to attach to shared memory segment.
    result in https://bugreports.qt-project.org/br...REATORBUG-7315 and https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-7702

    I understand little from these descriptions... if not nothing...

    ---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

    OMG!!! OMG!!!
    Eureka!!!
    I installed IBM DB2 recently on my machine
    I did changed /etc/sysctl.conf
    Code:
    kernel.shmmni=4096 
    kernel.shmmax=4294967296 
    kernel.shmall=8388608 
    #kernel.sem=<SEMMS><SEMMNS><SEMOPM><SEMMNI> 
    kernel.sem=250 256000 32 4096 
    kernel.msgmni=16384 
    kernel.msgmax=65536 
    kernel.msgmnb=65536
    now I found strong correlation between running DB2 instance and Qt.

    If I boot and did not start DB2 instance, qtconfig-gt4 (Qt based application itself) starts with that strange "QNativeImage: Unable to attach to shared memory segment. "
    Once I started DB2 instace (using db2start -- I guess at this point DB2 starts consuming memory and resources) and then run qtconfig-qt4 -- it runs successfully, skype runs, IBM Lotus Notes runs, GoldenDict runs... i.e. eventually all software that is Qt-based. I guessed that by providing these settings I let more sharred memory for all... How may it influence Qt so badly?

    I have 8GB 32-bit PAE, could anybody, please, critisize my /etc/sysctl.conf settings since the root of problems it here?

    ---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

    so finally end this problem with
    Code:
    kernel.shmmax=2147483648


    probably specifiing more for 32-bit PAE system is nonsense, however other applications were doing well.

Similar Threads

  1. Skype
    By 0bn0xi0us in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13th September 2011, 07:24 AM
  2. SKype on 64 bit
    By mustang45 in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 31st March 2011, 07:26 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 8th June 2010, 01:06 PM
  4. Skype and Program like Skype
    By tokegee in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th June 2007, 07:17 PM
  5. i want to use Skype
    By onimsha in forum Hardware
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 16th August 2006, 05:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •