<---- template headericclude ----->
Public IP Configuration
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Public IP Configuration

Hi everyone, my friend and I just installed Fedora 17 as a server, and we have a public IP that we'd like to configurate, we don't know how to do this.

This is more about learning, because we need this for our school, we're starting to learn about server with linux distros, and we need any help that we can get.

So if you know how to configurate a public IP, tell me please. And if you can give us some advice about mail server, ftp, http, dhcp, and things like that, that will be awesome.

So thanks, and i'll be waiting for your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Public IP Configuration

Hi, your public ip information consists from 3 parts: ip, netmask, gateway. edit your interface information according to your up data and allow connections to your server in iptables
    What kind of information about mail server, ftp, http, dhcp you whant to know?
    Last edited by Keldorn; 4th August 2012 at 05:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Threads merged.

One thread per customer per subject. Please read the posting rules before posting again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keldorn
    Hi, your public ip information consists from 3 parts: ip, netmask, gateway. edit your interface information according to your up data and allow connections to your server in iptables
    What kind of information about mail server, ftp, http, dhcp you whant to know?

Well, could you please tell me exactly what to do, I'm a beginner on this matters. And about the mail server and stuuf. I already install LAMP, with no problems thanks to a tutorial, but what else I should install to make this server work properly, I mean, it works like a server should.

I read a post that includes all the possible services that I would need, and are this:

Web Server: Apache 2.2.4
    PHP 5.2.2
    Database Server: MySQL 5.0.37
    Mail Server: Postfix
    DNS Server: BIND9 (chrooted)
    FTP Server: proftpd
    POP3/IMAP server: Dovecot
    Webalizer for web site statistics

Installing LAMP it'll be done for the 3 first needs. But what about the others. How can I install them?.

Another question is about Spark, shoul I install it?...is another better out there??..and how I install it??..

Maybe this is not where I should post this, but any help will be greatfull. Or suggest any thread to read.

And again it will better if you answer for a noob or beginner..I'm lost in this.. I only have used Ubuntu, but not like terminal and stuff, more visual. So any help would be great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, could you please tell me exactly what to do, I'm a beginner on this matters.
    First of all: Read documentation
    You can install all of software you mentioned above using yum.
    Postfix - there is nice book about posfix, recommend to read it "The Book of Postfix: State-of-the-Art Message Transport" by Ralf Hildebrandt, Patrick Koetter
    bind9 - a nice book "DNS and BIND (5th Edition)" by Cricket Liu, Paul Albitz + there is a special package in repoe's called "bind-chroot" it really simplifies chrooted configuration of bind.
    Dovecot - it has really good docs on official website with wide variety of examples.
    Can't tell anything about webalizer - never used it before, but can advise to use google Analytics to get info about number of your website visitors and much more.
    Another question is about Spark, shoul I install it?...is another better out there??..and how I install it??..
    And what is spark?
    p.s. Yup, a looot of reading -)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All right, i'll be reading those books asap, thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldorn

And what is spark?
    Well, it's Spark IM, is an instant messaging aplication, like pidgin (if you know it), it's basically instant messaging throught the network. Or something like that.