Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th August 2012, 08:08 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: One word ... WOW!

... or, in the case of the high school I went to ... from school lunches! <....>
Old 4th August 2012, 08:29 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
... or, in the case of the high school I went to ... from school lunches! <....>
Yeah, that's far more likely.
Old 4th August 2012, 08:37 PM
billybob linux Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote Dan:
Quote:
... or, in the case of the high school I went to ... from school lunches!
I Don't know about your school Dan but for many of us "working class" school kids in Scotland , school dinners were actually pretty good and a good source of nutrition.
Old 4th August 2012, 08:58 PM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox

Point noted. I sometimes forget the social groups are there - they are fairly well hidden.
Old 5th August 2012, 04:39 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Same here, Steve. I keep forgetting about the social groups hiding in the corner as well.
Old 5th August 2012, 05:09 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

They say memory is the second thing to go. And for the life of me ... I can't remember what the first one is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yN-6PbqAPM
Old 5th August 2012, 01:56 PM
billybob linux Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote DBelton
Quote:
Same here, Steve. I keep forgetting about the social groups hiding in the corner as well.
Quote stevea.
Quote:
Point noted. I sometimes forget the social groups are there - they are fairly well hidden.

I think that maybe my post has been taken to mean something other than what was intended and apology to Dan if that is the case.

The point I was making was that, school dinners were for many kids who could not easily go home for a lunch break (due to distance ) and many “working class” kids had both parents working during the day so the school lunch was pretty much the only option for a decent meal during the day. They were good value for money and there wasn't any other food outlets anywhere near. I went to a comprehensive school and the majority of the students would have been from a “working class” background,
I hope using that term has not caused any confusion but maybe it has and the post could have been worded better..

Last edited by billybob linux; 5th August 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 5th August 2012, 02:11 PM
flyingfsck Offline

linuxfirefox

One would have thought that the National Geographic would at least know that a cheetah isn't a cat. Cheetahs look like cats, but they are actually more like wolves and dogs.
Old 5th August 2012, 02:21 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob linux View Post
Quote DBelton

Quote stevea.

I think that maybe my post has been taken to mean something other than what was intended and apology to Dan if that is the case.

The point I was making was that, school dinners were for many kids who could not easily go home for a lunch break (due to distance ) and many “working class” kids had both parents working during the day so the school lunch was pretty much the only option for a decent meal during the day. They were good value for money and there wasn't any other food outlets anywhere near. I went to a comprehensive school and the majority of the students would have been from a “working class” background,
I hope using that term has not caused any confusion but maybe it has and the post could have been worded better..
Sorry about all the confusion there...

Your post about the school lunches wasn't what caused the discussion about the social groups.

Maybe you misunderstood what was meant? We were referring to social groups as meaning the area of this forum, not actual social classes in society

(Link to the social groups section: )
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/group.php

There wasn't anything wrong at all with your post about the school lunches. What triggered the topic of the social groups was the "bashing" of Fox news.

Edit:
Again, sorry about the confusion, but now I do see where you got the idea that we were referring to your post. It just happened that the "school lunch" stuff got in between the posts about Dan referring the Fox news "bashing" over to the social groups, and our responses where we stated we forgot about the social groups.

Last edited by DBelton; 5th August 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 5th August 2012, 02:39 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfsck View Post
One would have thought that the National Geographic would at least know that a cheetah isn't a cat. Cheetahs look like cats, but they are actually more like wolves and dogs.
They are classified as cats as well.

Quote:
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Carnivora
Family: Felidae
Sub Family: Felinae
Genus: Acinonyx
Species: A. jubatus
Old 5th August 2012, 04:01 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfirefox

The one of the big differences between wolves, dogs and the cheetahs is that wolves and dogs are omnivores. Cheetahs are strictly carnivorous, like all cats (big and small).
Old 5th August 2012, 04:52 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Cheetahs are definitely cats. (Are you perhaps thinking of hyenas, which whilst dog-like are more closely related to cats?)
Old 5th August 2012, 07:03 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Cheetahs are cats, but are in a separate genus. As form follows function in nature, they are built somewhat differently than other cats, with certain doglike traits.

According to literature that's probably from the 70's--Dr. George Schaller's The Serengeti Lion, too lazy to look up publication date right now, they had an extremely high prey catching success rate, something like 95 percent, much higher than any of the other predators. (Going by memory--I'm quite sure that it was over 90 percent, and fairly, though not completely, sure that the next group was only successful about 75 percent of the time.) Note that the statistics could not be exhaustive, being based on personal observation of Schaller and others.

The price paid to gain this speed (and hunting success rate) is a lack of strength--though they were the most successful predators in the Serengetti study area, they were frequently chased off their kill by any of the other major predators.

The Dog in Motion, a fairly old book that I probably still have, back from when I was into sled dogs, in the early 80's, comments specifically about the cheetah's spine actually extending during the run, adding to the stride length. It's all pretty interesting, but rather than write a treatise from half remembered facts, which would probably wind up being wrong in part, I'll just say that yes, there is no question that the cheetah is considered a cat, though a very unique one, and that it does have special adaptations to enable its becoming the fastest land animal.

This speed definitely gives it some advantages in catching prey, though adjustments made to gain the speed cost it in fighting ability, meaning that it usually has to give up its prey to any takers.
Old 5th August 2012, 07:08 PM
Bazu135 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
Cheetahs are cats, but are in a separate genus. As form follows function in nature, they are built somewhat differently than other cats, with certain doglike traits.

According to literature that's probably from the 70's--Dr. George Schaller's The Serengeti Lion, too lazy to look up publication date right now, they had an extremely high prey catching success rate, something like 95 percent, much higher than any of the other predators. (Going by memory--I'm quite sure that it was over 90 percent, and fairly, though not completely, sure that the next group was only successful about 75 percent of the time.) Note that the statistics could not be exhaustive, being based on personal observation of Schaller and others.

The price paid to gain this speed (and hunting success rate) is a lack of strength--though they were the most successful predators in the Serengetti study area, they were frequently chased off their kill by any of the other major predators.

The Dog in Motion, a fairly old book that I probably still have, back from when I was into sled dogs, in the early 80's, comments specifically about the cheetah's spine actually extending during the run, adding to the stride length. It's all pretty interesting, but rather than write a treatise from half remembered facts, which would probably wind up being wrong in part, I'll just say that yes, there is no question that the cheetah is considered a cat, though a very unique one, and that it does have special adaptations to enable its becoming the fastest land animal.

This speed definitely gives it some advantages in catching prey, though adjustments made to gain the speed cost it in fighting ability, meaning that it usually has to give up its prey to any takers.
They need to learn to hunt in pairs - one to make the kill, and another to stand at a distance and deliver a running drop-kick to any would-be kill-stealers
Old 5th August 2012, 07:41 PM
billybob linux Offline

linuxfirefox

@DBelton. Thanks for clearing up the confusion The misunderstanding is entirely my fault. I should have put those posts into the context of the discussion about Fox News . Can we blame Fox News ?