Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th July 2012, 05:53 AM
L3l00 Offline

linuxopera
motd

curious to know if I can use motd and have it send the message to the welcome screens of the xp computers if it is something serious that my boss or myself needs to tell everyone in the office. A lot easier if I can set it up with a BASH script and cron. At the moment when it is something I have to do I just walk around and tell people, it isn't really efficient.
Old 30th July 2012, 06:46 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: motd

motd is really just a file that gets displayed upon login, before the login shell is run.

I don't know of a way to set it up to display from a cron job. It's displayed upon login, and that's it.

I guess you could use the wall command to send the motd file to all logged in users if you want to.
Old 30th July 2012, 08:15 AM
pete_1967 Online
Clueless in a Cuckooland

linuxfirefox

Windows has its own messenger service: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/168893

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 30th July 2012, 02:04 PM
L3l00 Offline

linuxopera

thank you for the reading material. I will review it later.
Old 30th July 2012, 02:36 PM
jpollard Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
motd is really just a file that gets displayed upon login, before the login shell is run.

I don't know of a way to set it up to display from a cron job. It's displayed upon login, and that's it.

I guess you could use the wall command to send the motd file to all logged in users if you want to.
wall can only send to terminals/GUI terminal emulators. If the user has no terminal open, then the message is not received.

Tags
motd