Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th July 2012, 03:49 AM
restoretheroar Offline

windows_7firefox
Cannot browse shares on Windows 7 Machine

I have one Windows 7 machine and when on Fedora 17 64bit (default install, nothing changed) I cannot browse the network shares. After installing Samba and Samba-Client, I am able to see the Windows workgroups (MSHOME and WORKGROUP). I can browse MSHOME which houses a XP machine with no shares. I cannot browse WORKGROUP, which contains the Windows 7 Machine. I get an error that states it cannot browse the workgroup. I can browse the shares from the XP machine just fine, and the permissions for the share are public so I do not feel it is an account issue. Any suggestions on what I can do to be able to browse this machine/shares?
Old 30th July 2012, 06:57 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Cannot browse shares on Windows 7 Machine

Well, for one thing.. All of the machines need to be set up with the same workgroup name to be able to access them.

Have you tried changing the workgroup name on your Windows 7 machine to MSHOME and see if you can access it then?
Old 30th July 2012, 01:06 PM
restoretheroar Offline

That is on my list of things to attempt...but since network browsing worked fine with the same network setup on Debian I thought that perhaps Fedora was not installing a package that controlled the ability.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2
Old 31st July 2012, 02:53 AM
restoretheroar Offline

Well I booted to a live CD of F17, installed samba and samba-client and changed my workgroup to WORKGROUP and I was able to see and connect to the windows 7 box....however, when i performed the install and did the same thing....no dice...I even disabled both the firewall and selinux to no avail.

Not really sure on the difference between running it on the live version versus the actual install.

Old 31st July 2012, 03:47 PM
restoretheroar Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

I just found this blog post from someone using Fedora 17:
http://blog.amit-agarwal.co.in/2012/...etwork-samba4/

Seems the problem is Samba4. Going to try his suggestion tonight when I get home and see if it fixes anything. I'll update this thread with results.
Old 31st July 2012, 05:04 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Did you specifically install Samba4 on your machine? Fedora 17, by default when you install samba, will install 3.6.6-92, not samba 4. Samba 4 is in the repos, but you would need to do a few things to get it installed, unless they got the dependency conflicts fixed. (I haven't tried to install it in a month or so)
Old 31st July 2012, 05:18 PM
restoretheroar Offline

I'm not sure if i did out not....just grasping at anything that has a form of "hey this worked for me" right now...once I can get in front of my machine I can start testing and checking again.

Old 3rd August 2012, 02:38 AM
restoretheroar Offline

linuxfirefox

So, I finally figured it out. On a fresh install, I have to install Samba, edit /etc/samba/smb.conf to include the Workgroup name and also to enable the line:

wins support = yes

After this I allow Samba in the firewall, reboot and then I'm good to go. I'm assuming restarting samba/networking would work as well, but I just like to reboot after changes like that...old habits...

After all of that, I am able to see and access shares on the Windows 7 machine.

Tags
browse, machine, shares, windows