Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th July 2012, 05:56 AM
Prescience500 Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror
Switching to Fedora KDE from Kubuntu

I've been wanting to switch over to Fedora KDE for a while, but since Kubunu stopped booting earlier, I decided that I might as well switch now. I need to shrink the kubuntu partition size and install the new Fedora partition. Then manually transfer my data over to Fedora. Then delete my Kubuntu partition, then expand my Fedora partition to take up the whole drive. I've tried shrinking the partition using the Fedora live/install CD, but it tells me that there's not enough free space, which is what i'm trying to create more of. Also, how can I transfer to Fedora the data I have stored as root in Kubuntu? I've not been able to access it from another Linux operating system.
Old 27th July 2012, 09:01 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Switching to Fedora KDE from Kubuntu

Root should be able to read all files and it might be a good idea to backup your important files first.
Old 27th July 2012, 09:12 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

For the sake of simplicity, if possible, use an external HDD for salvaging files, and use PuppyLinux LiveCD to boot the broken system. IN Puppy, (which is always root) move the files you need to save onto the external HDD, then -- after unmounting and physically disconnecting the external HDD -- use Gparted in/from Puppy to configure your partitions as you please, and then shut down, boot from the fedora LiveCD, install to the empty space you created in Puppy, and after everything is installed, boot into the newly installed system, mount the external HDD, and as root, move copy your old files back where you want them.

When you're finished, be sure to re-set the file ownership and permissions.
Old 27th July 2012, 09:40 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

If you use a Fedora LiveCD you can just use

Code:
su -
to become root. No password required for obvious reasons.
Old 31st July 2012, 12:36 AM
Prescience500 Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks for the help everyone! I finally got everything transfered over now.

Tags
fedora, kde, kubuntu, switching