Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:51 PM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox
Re: I've got some thermal concerns ...

That has to many fans IMO

I have 2x120mm + two on the graphics card.

Old 23rd July 2012, 04:57 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Ah! The Cyber-Nirvana of Liquid cooling! <....>

And ... unless I miss my count, and if we count the pump motor as a "fan" I only have one more than you. That being the 120mm aux. (only one on my video card.)
Old 23rd July 2012, 05:11 PM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
It's maintenance free.
The H50 only had a two year warranty, if you choose the H60 you get a five year warranty.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Quote:

And ... unless I miss my count, and if we count the pump motor as a "fan" I only have one more than you. That being the 120mm aux. (only one on my video card.)
Your right, the pump is completely silent unlike your 120mm fan.
Old 23rd July 2012, 06:08 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

*Sigh!*

Too true.
Old 23rd July 2012, 06:13 PM
pete_1967 Online
Clueless in a Cuckooland

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowman View Post
...if you choose the H60 you get a five year warranty.
So you get to replace your PC every 5 years? Does your home insurance cover the water damage or did they figure out the cause and don't pay out?

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 23rd July 2012, 06:21 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Dan, looking at your setup, I am wondering if it might possibly run cooler if you disconnect the rear fan. That fan may be pulling the airflow from your side fans right out the back before hitting your MB and causing a "dead air" space right at the MB.

Something to try anyway..

Just be glad that the fans don't have metal blades and are a brushless design since you have those whopper magnets on them.
Old 23rd July 2012, 06:27 PM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967 View Post
So you get to replace your PC every 5 years? Does your home insurance cover the water damage or did they figure out the cause and don't pay out?
Yes, are you jealous ?
Old 23rd July 2012, 06:44 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Dan, looking at your setup, I am wondering if it might possibly run cooler if you disconnect the rear fan. That fan may be pulling the airflow from your side fans right out the back before hitting your MB and causing a "dead air" space right at the MB.

Something to try anyway..

Just be glad that the fans don't have metal blades and are a brushless design since you have those whopper magnets on them.
Tried that a while back. The current placement is the culmination of a couple of months worth of testing. I suspect I'm throwing plenty of air around in there. Which leaves the plain old physics of not enough heatsink (or low efficiency transfer.)

That leaves me back at square one. The need to draw heat off the CPU itself quicker and/or more efficiently. And that leaves liquid cooling, or a helluva lot better heatsink. Most of which have built-on lateral fans/airflow.

I notice the Corsair H50 is no longer available, which tends to make me think the H70 would be the way to go if I take that route, but I still haven't jettisoned the idea of a much more efficient thermal/heatpipe solution. I'm currently looking at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186059

or:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118128

But haven't done any more than a quick look. No review research on them yet.

I'm also wondering if these (conceptually) are any good, or if it's all just hype:

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...83955&CatId=99

That's a refurb, which I would therefore reject, but the idea intrigues me.
Old 23rd July 2012, 06:49 PM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Tried that a while back. The current placement is the culmination of a couple of months worth of testing. I suspect I'm throwing plenty of air around in there. Which leaves the plain old physics of not enough heatsink (or low efficiency transfer.)

That leaves me back at square one. The need to draw heat off the CPU itself quicker and/or more efficiently. And that leaves liquid cooling, or a helluva lot better heatsink. Most of which have built-on lateral fans/airflow.

I notice the Corsair H50 is no longer available, which tends to make me think the H70 would be the way to go if I take that route, but I still haven't jettisoned the idea of a much more efficient thermal/heatpipe solution. I'm currently looking at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186059

or:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118128

But haven't done any more than a quick look. No review research on them yet.

I'm also wondering if these are any good, or if it's all just hype:

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...83955&CatId=99

That's a refurb, which I would therefore reject, but the idea intrigues me.
The H70 is obsolete as well,

h50 replaced by h60
h70 replaced by h80

P.S your aircool selection was lame

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=HS-010-NC

Last edited by Yellowman; 23rd July 2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 23rd July 2012, 07:05 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I have a 20 pound chunk of copper laying here you could carve you a great heatsink out of It measures about 4 1/2x4x4 inches and makes a great paperweight
Old 24th July 2012, 02:27 AM
slopsbucket Offline

linuxfirefox

Just curious here, are any of you blokes running dual boot? And if so do you have the same temperature problem in Win.

For me Fedora definitely runs hot. Just sitting on this forum my CPU's are running at 47 degrees Celsius, GPU on 63 degrees. If I reboot into WinXP I can watch the temperatures come back down to 32 for the CPU's and 39 for the GPU.

I'm not running anything else in Fedora at the moment, just Firefox with two pages open and gkrellm. If I try to play Widelands I get about an hours worth of play before the fan noise gets too much to bear. I'm running the Xorg radeon driver as I can't get any others to install, but I don't really believe that that's solely responsible for the heat problem because the CPU's are getting hot too.

If I boot in WinXP and play graphics intense video games like GTA San Andreas or Freelancer the CPU's hardly get any warmer and the GPU got up to 62 degrees once.

It's Gigabytes board with intel Z68 chipset
intel 2.4 ghz dual core processor (cheapest I could find)
only fans are the stock one that came with the processor and the one in the power supply
average daytime room temperature for me is 32 degrees celsius

More than 40 Fedora installations in the area
because Microtoss really sucks.
Old 24th July 2012, 03:09 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Dual boot? With Windows®?! <....>

Not bloody likey! <....>

<....>

(Seriously, no. This machine has never been -- and will likely never be -- subjected to that kind of ignominious abuse.)
Old 24th July 2012, 09:29 AM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox

Quote:
... on/about my AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor.

Which is not entirely surprising in Texas this time of year, given that the thermometer twice pinged off of 105F yesterday. Once on the way up, and then several hours later, once more on the way back down. That's just the way it is here in July, August and September. It's also why we have AC units. Blessed be Freon!

However, normally this Franken-Beast of a computer cycles its way through the jobs I task it -- with ridiculous ease. And that's still the case, really, but this is the first time I've done things that park all four cores up at 97+ percent, at 3.4gHz, for up to an hour at a time. And it handles it well, even allowing me to surf normally whilst it crunches the data.

However ...

The specs show that the meltdown temp on this CPU is ~62C/143F. Normally it never gets above 105F. (I'm still on the stock cooler, which may account for a lot of the problem here) But once I start the offending intense application, I'm regularly seeing 55C/131F on the CPU and full-bore running (4500rpm) of the CPU cooler fan. (76~78F room temp.)

Now ... that's not quite at the molten end of the thermal curve ... yet ... but it's plenty close enough to make my eyebrows go up.

So ... the questions I have are these:
  • Is this fairly normal?
  • Is this too hot for the healthy lifespan of the CPU (I spent a helluvalot of money on it. I want it to grow very old -- gracefully.)
  • What kind of temps do you see on your CPUs running such intense applications at those kinds of speeds?

*Dan wanders off the Newegg to price out a liquid cooling system.*

Can you post

Code:
sensors |grep diode
Old 24th July 2012, 11:03 AM
BinaryBandit Offline

linuxchrome

If I may make a suggestion Dan,
I think you would benefit greatly by using the 80mm fan from the side as an exhaust fan at the top just in front of the PSU and setting the 120mm fan slightly lower. The PSU fan and rear case exhaust fan draw air from around the cpu and power capacitors, when there is no other exhaust outlet air flow is fairly direct and inefficient, moving the 80mm fan to the top or adding another one will increase internal turbulence and help move heat from other sources such as Ram and HDDs out of the case before it gets to the cpu cooler.
If you don't have an outlet at the top make one with a hole saw or by drilling many small holes and remember if you drill holes in your case with every thing still in it, use some fly paper or paper smeared with honey just below the area you are drilling to catch any metal particles.
Fedora 17 x86_64 Beefy Miracle on 2x1tb Seagate Sata3 HDD
Old 24th July 2012, 12:58 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowman View Post
Can you post

Code:
sensors |grep diode
Code:
$ sensors |grep diode
temp2:        +38.0°C  (low  = +127.0°C, high = +60.0°C)  sensor = thermal diode

Tags
concerns, thermal