Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th July 2012, 06:03 PM
Nikhil Parmar Offline

linuxfirefox
No "FORMAT" option for formating PenDrives on right click!

Hello friends, I have been using Ubuntu since 2 years.
Recently installed Fedora 17 on my laptop and with the help of Gnome-Tweak_Tool, I just permitted RIGHT CLICK on the desktop and is working fine. But when i attach a pendrive to the laptop, it is mounted on the desktop. But when i right click on the mounted Pen Drive, there is NO option for "FORMAT" the Pen Drive. Its available in Ubuntu.
Formatting the Pen Drive is possible via the Disk Utility. But is it possible to have a "FORMAT" option on right click.

Pls help, right click --> format is quite handy..
Thank You.
Old 18th July 2012, 10:37 PM
Dutchy Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: No "FORMAT" option for formating PenDrives on right click..!!

As far as I know there is no easy drop in replacement for that.
They've removed the gnome-disk-utility-libs package that enabled the gdu-format-tool to work.
Old 19th July 2012, 06:52 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxfirefox

You can't format a mounted filesystem. Very bad things would happen.

That isn't to say that you can't start a *process* from there that culminates in formatting the disk -- and easily actually!
Specifically, you should install "nautilus-actions".

This will add a launcher into your "other" menu, which allows you to create right-click menu entries. Use it to run a script that determines the device path, unmount the device, and launch a formatting utility.
Old 20th July 2012, 03:31 AM
Nikhil Parmar Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks for the reply..
hey can i install the package (gnome-disk-utility-libs)..and will i get my desired functionality..??

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

Hey i have installed nautilus-actions but i am not able to do so can U just tell me the steps to do that..pls
Thank You
Old 20th July 2012, 03:46 AM
aleph Offline
Banned (for/from) behaving just like everybody else!

linuxfirefox
Re: No "FORMAT" option for formating PenDrives on right click!

You must add a script that does the unmounting and formatting, and then add it as an Action so it can appear in the context menu. I have been avoiding GNOME like a plague for ages so I can't elaborate, but nautilus-actions only makes you able to install the Actions without knowing anything about disk formatting. So you must define the Actions first before you use them.

In any day I'll prefer just doing it by myself using the mkfs.xxxx tools on an ad hoc basis, because those tools gives you a wide variability of options and I may need them depending on which thumbdisk I'm going to use.

And since you're from Ubuntustan... You probably will get hazed by Fedoristas sooner or later, and we know sooner is better than later, so I'll do it now:

Quote:
"You Ubuntu noob, learn to Read the Fxxx Manual and use fdisk, parted, and mkfs! Quit your habit developed under the pseudo-distro of Ubunbane and learn some real Linux!!"

Tags
click, format, formating, option, pendrives