Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th July 2012, 06:52 PM
ObiWan84 Offline

windows_7firefox
graphics card options

I am looking at getting a new graphics card and was wondering whether amd or nvidia would be the better option.

I currently have a nvidia, using the binary driver if that makes any difference.
Old 16th July 2012, 07:20 PM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox
Re: graphics card options

Nvidia binary support is better than AMD binary support.
Old 17th July 2012, 08:10 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

Every body loves nvidia. Especially Linus ;-)
Old 17th July 2012, 03:02 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_toolan View Post
Every body loves nvidia. Especially Linus ;-)
you betcha!

He really heaped on the praise, and even alluded to wanting to mate with Nvidia.

Quote:
“Nvidia has been one of the worst trouble spots we’ve had with hardware manufacturers. And that’s really sad because Nvidia tries to sell chips, a lot of chips, into the Android market. And Nvidia has been the single worst company we’ve ever dealt with.”

But I do totally agree with Yellowman. Nvidia does play nicer with linux than AMD/ATI does.

Plus, if you already have a Nvidia card installed and the drivers, then you won't have to re-install your video drivers if you get a new NVidia card. (unless your current card uses the older version of the drivers)
Old 17th July 2012, 03:09 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
Plus, if you already have a Nvidia card installed and the drivers, then you won't have to re-install your video drivers if you get a new NVidia card. (unless your current card uses the older version of the drivers)
oh! That's very nice! I had no idea that this would work ....
Old 17th July 2012, 03:27 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
[...]
this is interesting. About 2 or 3 years ago I had to reconfigure something in the xorg.conf when I switched from a Radeon HD 3200 IGP to Radeon HD 4650 (back than I did use the proprietary Catalyst driver).

but atm I use just the free Radeon driver. If one don't play advanced games and especially don't plays wine games, the Radeon drivers are fine. Well I even play sometimes a game (Regnum Online has with my IGP card with the radeon driver about 13 fps, with the proprietary driver about 35, on lowest settings). I also tested Catalyst 12.6 (legacy, beta) on F17 and it would work also ok, but after updating any mesa* packages or something else it stopped working. And so I uninstalled it again.

Last edited by Fenrin; 17th July 2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 17th July 2012, 03:43 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan84 View Post
was wondering whether amd or nvidia would be the better option
Code:
   #     #     #  ######
  # #    ##   ##  #     #
 #   #   # # # #  #     #
#     #  #  #  #  #     #
#######  #     #  #     #
#     #  #     #  #     #
#     #  #     #  ######
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 17th July 2012, 04:45 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrin View Post
this is interesting. About 2 or 3 years ago I had to reconfigure something in the xorg.conf when I switched from a Radeon HD 3200 IGP to Radeon HD 4650 (back than I did use the proprietary Catalyst driver).

but atm I use just the free Radeon driver. If one don't play advanced games and especially don't plays wine games, the Radeon drivers are fine. Well I even play sometimes a game (Regnum Online has with my IGP card with the radeon driver about 13 fps, with the proprietary driver about 35, on lowest settings). I also tested Catalyst 12.6 (legacy, beta) on F17 and it would work also ok, but after updating any mesa* packages or something else it stopped working. And so I uninstalled it again.
A few years ago, you probably did need to change things in the xorg.conf file since it put more of the video setup in there instead of autodetecting it upon boot like it does now.

Look in one of the currently created xorg.conf files and you really don't see much configuration in there for the video. I believe the nvidia (and probably ATI as well) drivers just adds the path to it's libs, and that's about all.

Tags
card, graphics, options