Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st May 2004, 05:20 PM
grnchile Offline

FC2: GNOME hang on resume

I have FC2 installed on a Thinkpad T41. I turned off ACPI support in the kernel to get suspend working (acpi=off in the boot options). The laptop does reliably suspend.

Unfortunately, suspend is only half the story. When I resume, GNOME 2.6 sometimes hangs after trying, for some reason, to generate screen shots. This occurs about 25% of the time. The CPU pegs when this happens. Occasionally this sequence is successful and I can get control back after completing a couple of "save screenshot" dialogues. Usually, though, I end up having to kill X to get control back. Even when I don't have to kill X, it's sometimes the case that the keyboard is dead and some mouse functionality is missing.

I can work around all of this by remapping the printscreen key. That's kind of an ugly hack, though. I'd rather fix the problem (whatever it is).

So... What's wrong? Suggestions most appreciated...

grnchile

ps: Oh - this doesn't seem to happen with KDE. As far as I can tell, it's GNOME-specific.
Old 8th June 2004, 09:33 AM
dezrock Offline

Happened to me, yesterday, so at least you're not alone. Haven't narrowed down the cause or found another reference, yet.
Old 8th June 2004, 08:44 PM
JonR Offline

This sounds similar to a problem I have on a Tecra 8000 and FC1. If I close the system normally from Gnome, when the machine next boots up it hangs starting Gnome. I have to h/w reset before I can get it back after which it verifies the file system and reloads perfectly. If someone finds a fix or workaround please post it.
Registered Linux User #363869.
i686 F8, Quad Core F10 64-bit, Core2Duo F16 64-bit.
Old 12th June 2004, 06:37 AM
grnchile Offline

I did some more poking around on this and discovered that my T41 problem, at least, seems to have deeper underlying causes. From the message log (not sure how I missed this before):

Quote:
May 31 14:02:24 localhost kernel: i8042: failed to resume active multiplexor, mouse won't work.
May 31 14:02:24 localhost kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
May 31 14:02:24 localhost kernel: atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
There are about a dozen of the key release messages per resume and a corresponding number of attempts to take a screenshot. I'm also unable to use the trackpoint mouse after resume (although the USB mouse is fine).

The latest FC2 kernel, 2.6.6-1.427, has a number of keyboard and mouse-related fixes. I just tried it on my T41 and it seems to have addressed both of these problems. Unfortunately, it sometimes fails to suspend fully, locks up the machine while trying (at least running with APM) and doesn't recognize the USB mouse after resume even if the resume did work. So I'm not sure this is kernel will help much. I'll try enabling ACPI suspend/resume on it to see if it works in that mode.
Old 12th June 2004, 08:11 PM
grnchile Offline

I was able to get ACPI suspend/resume to execute using the 2.6.6-1.427 kernel. It requires unloading and reloading ehci_hcd before and after the suspend.

However, there's a problem with the Ethernet support after resume that probably keeps this from being a very useful solution on my T41:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=121906

At least when I'm using Ethernet.

On suspend:
Code:
/sbin/rmmod ehci_hcd
echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep
On resume:
Code:
/sbin/modprobe ehci_hcd
See also:

http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/....cgi?id=124337

Tags