Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th July 2012, 04:37 PM
dilynux Offline

linuxopera
Boot-options, as screen goes black F17

Hi,

I've been trying to boot and install from a live-CD of Fedora 17, on my laptop. The laptop is a HP g6-1150sd with an Radeon graphics-card. But after booting the live-CD, the screen goes black. Is there a boot-option I can give at start-up, so that I can eventually install from the live-CD? I've already tried vesa and linux=vesa but both to no avail.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

I imagine, installing from a F17 installation DVD would give me the same problem. Right?
Old 5th July 2012, 05:20 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Boot-options, as screen goes black F17

Does it give some information and then go black? If so, that's the changing over to framebuffer, which can be avoided by adding nomodeset (I think---that might have changed, but try that and see if it helps)
Old 5th July 2012, 05:36 PM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

Try to remove rhgb and quiet from the command line options to see what's going on.
Quote:
I imagine, installing from a F17 installation DVD would give me the same problem. Right?
Not necessarily since the DVD doesn't boot a live operation system.
Old 5th July 2012, 06:10 PM
dilynux Offline

linuxopera

No it doesn't give any information. Right after the boot-screen from the CD, it goes black. Will try adding nomodeset

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Do you mean I would be more successful installing from a DVD? Will try removing rhgb and quiet

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
Does it give some information and then go black? If so, that's the changing over to framebuffer, which can be avoided by adding nomodeset (I think---that might have changed, but try that and see if it helps)
Thank you, nomodeset did the trick. Could you explain, what nomodeset does exactly?
Old 5th July 2012, 06:38 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilynux View Post
Could you explain, what nomodeset does exactly?
May be this will help - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/piper...ne/373864.html
Old 6th July 2012, 03:52 PM
dilynux Offline

linuxopera

Thank you. Appreciate it. But does this also mean I will need the same parameter when installing from the DVD?
Old 19th November 2012, 02:39 AM
wildcard442 Offline

windows_7chrome

I had the same problem and nomodeset fixed it for me. When the 10 second count down timer came up, I pressed tab for boot options and typed nomodeset at the end and pressed enter. Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Tags
black, bootoptions, f17, screen