Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st July 2012, 07:11 PM
bgoodwin91006 Offline

windows_7ie
FC 16 kernel update problem

I did a 'yum update' and it installed a new kernel (version 3.4.2-x86_64) along with a bunch of other updates. During the update the running kernel had a catastrophic error and rebooted.

The problem is there is no initramfs file for the new kernel so it crashes on trying to boot up.

The older kernels still boot up but I can't get the NVidia drivers to install on any of them so I have no Xwindow capability. The driver install software is not providing any real info about why it won't install. I suspect an update of gcc has made it incompatible with the older kernels.

I tried 'yum reinstall kernel' and I am getting a message;

kernel-3.4.2-x86_64 is not available.

I had to resort to Windows 7 to post this message.
Old 1st July 2012, 10:59 PM
sidebrnz Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: FC 16 kernel update problem

You should be able to boot without an initramfs, as long as there's no line for it in grub.cfg. If there is, you can edit the menu item at boot to remove it. (Only for this boot, of course.)

If that doesn't work, or you'd rather not try it, here's something you can do from a CLI as root, assuming you have Internet access.

yum list installed kernel

This will give you a list of all kernels installed.

yum remove kernel.x.y.z

Where .x.y.z specifies the newest kernel; the one you're having trouble with. (You may not need to list the kernels first if you know exactly which one you want to remove, but it's always best to check anyway.)

yum update kernel

If all goes well, this will clear things up. If you want to get rid of all installed kernels except the one you're currently using,

yum remove kernel

will do it because yum won't even try to remove the running kernel. Once you've gotten that done, you may consider installing kmod-nvidia instead of using the binary blob, so that you won't have to remember to reinstall it every time there's a kernel update.
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 2nd July 2012, 03:35 AM
bgoodwin91006 Offline

linuxfirefox
SOLVED: FC 16 kernel update problem

Thanks for the feedback. I did a yum erase of the offending kernel which also erased the kmod-nvidia for that kernel. Then the kernel installed ok although this time it didn't automatically install the kmod-nvidia driver. Hopefully I'm back on track now.

Tags
kernel, problem, update