Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 26th June 2012, 03:35 AM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox
Re: 17 UI sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalzone View Post
By the time Gnome 3 will hit RHEL, there will plenty extensions available to to choose for clients. Gnome 3.4 can practically run on majority of videocards except probably obscure hardware.

For what I read, it appears Gnome 3 reaction is mixed bag. By the time Gnome Shell matures, majority of rants will vanish. There is nothing new to argue with plenty of desktop environment to choose.
+1

The gnome hate threads doesn't seem to die at least in fedoraforum.org.
Old 26th June 2012, 03:58 AM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

Perhaps that's due to the higher level of experience in the Forum and the feeling that anything that removes customization and the ability to get the job done (whatever that entails) shouldn't be tolerated.

Or, perhaps we're all just a batch of biatchy people....
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 26th June 2012, 04:15 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrons123 View Post
The gnome hate threads doesn't seem to die at least in fedoraforum.org.
On the one hand it means that people here are passionate about their desktops in Linux, which I suppose is good.

On the other hand it might mean that people here are unable to move on even though this horse has been beaten to death, run over, beaten to death again, run over backwards, put into a meat grinder and then churned out in the shape of beefy miracle hotdogs. Which I suppose is bad.
Old 30th June 2012, 07:36 PM
joncr Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyRes View Post
I don't mean to be insulting, but I just installed Fedora 17 and it appears that the UI is designed for a bunch of morons.

It lasted about 45 minutes before I wiped it and went back to CentOS.

Is there a reason for the UI being dumbed down to the point that it is actually more difficult to use? Is there a respin with Gnome 2.x instead?
Well, if you don't like Gnome 3, you can always try the KDE or XFCE version.

But, no there is no Gnome 2 version. Gnome 2 is dead.

I've spent time with Centos. It's great. But, I've decided Gnome 2 is not the pinnacle of interface design. The menu system is a dead end, and breaks when you put more than a handful of entries in it. (And it always looked amateurish, like something I wrote for DOS in Turbo Pascal a l-o-n-g time ago.)

No interface is intuitive. Can't be. People are wrong when they say Gnome 2 is intuitive. What they're really saying is that they have so much experience with it that it seems intuitive.

Give Gnome 3 more than 45 minutes. Lots of extensions at extensions.gnome.org. I've killed the Launcher and added a dock. Works fine. The only time I see all those icons in the Overview is when I need to run something unusual that isn't in my dock. I find using that no more or no less difficult that scrolling through Gnome 2's cascading menus.
Old 30th June 2012, 09:35 PM
MarekS Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
I will say the adoption of gnome3 as the "standard" desktop for Fedora has given me some real concerns about the future direction of Fedora in general, and leaves me wondering if Fedora is going to morph into some completely unusable (for me) mish-mash of inefficient software in the future.
+1

I tried G3, then used G3 Fallback for a while before turning to Xfce. Unfortunately, Fedora Xfce has various deficiences (parallel printer support, Canon camera support, USB stick handling). It feels like all the Fedora development is going into the Gnome 3 desktop - just to make it half-usable.

I would like to stick with Fedora, but am trying Mint Mate; its desktop is uninspiring but it works as it should. And now there's Mint Xfce...

Last edited by MarekS; 1st July 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 1st July 2012, 04:43 AM
mmix Offline

linuxfirefox

distro maker is not gui developer, so there is limit.
compiler improvement make system faster, but GUI is different beast.

btw,for my old 2nd computer, i am using mageia 3 with xfce 4.10(manually compiled & installed).

--
PS: it is funny to see, microshaft, fedora, ubuntu they all do same kind of pattern/trend gui..

Last edited by mmix; 1st July 2012 at 04:49 AM. Reason: PS
Old 1st July 2012, 07:05 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekS View Post
+1

I tried G3, then used G3 Fallback for a while before turning to Xfce. Unfortunately, Fedora Xfce has various deficiences (parallel printer support, Canon camera support, USB stick handling). It feels like all the Fedora develpment is going into the Gnome 3 desktop - just to make it half-usable.

I would like to stick with Fedora, but am trying Mint Mate; its desktop is uninspiring but it works as it should. And now there's Mint Xfce...

Have you tried the 4.10 version of xfce?

You can install it from the "unofficial" repo (which is maintained by the same person that maintains xfce in the official repo)

http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/kevin/xfce-4.10/
Old 2nd July 2012, 06:39 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekS View Post
Unfortunately, Fedora Xfce has various deficiences (parallel printer support, Canon camera support, USB stick handling). It feels like all the Fedora development is going into the Gnome 3 desktop - just to make it half-usable.
F16 Xfce (32-bit) on an old secondary machine and 64-bit on a new notebook, both working well with usb devices, an old nikon digital camera, a network printer, connecting to an old eMac that I am using as a file server.

I used Debian 6 (Gnome 2) for a good while and then switched up to F16. Gnome 3 was odd to use, but for me, mostly buggy and not consistent. As mentioned by others, stuff would tend to break. And instead of getting work done, I was messing around with fixes.

Now then you have F16 Xfce. It works. It's stable. I play around with configuring my DE to what I like, and it feels comfortable (instead of fixing it - Gnome 3).

I am curious how many have moved from Gnome 2 to KDE, Xfce, LXDE? An earlier post by Dragonbite indicates the possible growth of Xfce by sixfold. I hope this is true, as I would like to see Xfce have a solid supportive future with Fedora
Old 2nd July 2012, 08:44 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
how many have moved from Gnome 2 to KDE, Xfce, LXDE?
Last count I saw was 38.
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 2nd July 2012, 08:45 AM
Bazu135 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
*Sigh!*

At the risk of repeating myself .... It's not like we don't have other choices.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/pictur...pictureid=1167

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/pictur...pictureid=1252
But it's therapeutic to complain!

(I should note I was one of the ones who opted for Xfce-therapy instead, mind )
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:50 AM
flyingfsck Online

linuxfirefox

Yeah, well, it is not like there is a shortage of alternatives. Eventually, in a few years, Gnome will probably mature again, but until then, who cares? Just use something else. There is absolutely no need to lose any hair about it.
Old 2nd July 2012, 01:20 PM
joncr Offline

macossafari

I've decided that the most annoying thing in Gnome 3 is needing to move the cursor to the left to get the workspaces to display on the right. I don't get that. I do get that triggering their appearance with a cursor at the right screen edge would mean a lot of "false" and unwanted displays. (But, then I never use more than one workspace, so it's a moot point for me.)

Other than that, I'm OK with it. I add several extensions, kill the launcher and add a dock to the left side. It's a minimal kind of thing at that point, which is fine with me. I never spend time tweaking themes and such in any case. I don't like desktop icons, either. I populate the dock with the few apps I use regularly and find that tapping the Windows key and a few characters is as good a way of launching infrequently used applications as trolling through Gnome 2/KDE/xfce menus.

(I've given up on menus as an appropriate design element. Don't have the answer, either. But, clicking through dozens of options isn't it.)
Old 2nd July 2012, 02:34 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

There is an extension available to add a hot corner to the upper right corner as well.
Old 2nd July 2012, 03:17 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post

I am curious how many have moved from Gnome 2 to KDE, Xfce, LXDE? An earlier post by Dragonbite indicates the possible growth of Xfce by sixfold. I hope this is true, as I would like to see Xfce have a solid supportive future with Fedora
I had used Gnome ever since the 0.99 code freeze in Nov of 1998 and after a year of trying to get Gnome 3 to do even the basics that I needed, I switched to Xfce. Within 5 minutes I had it doing all I needed it to do.
Old 2nd July 2012, 05:06 PM
dragonbite Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
I had used Gnome ever since the 0.99 code freeze in Nov of 1998 and after a year of trying to get Gnome 3 to do even the basics that I needed, I switched to Xfce. Within 5 minutes I had it doing all I needed it to do.
That's also comparing something "new" with something mature.

Think of it as trying to use a tablet and moving to an ultrabook and being able to do what you needed it to do.

Not that tablets are "new", but they are "newer" than laptops and related ultrabooks.