Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th June 2012, 11:42 PM
leonardevens Offline

linuxfirefox
My usb drives are being mounted differently under Fedora 17

Under Fedora 14, two usb external drives I have were mounted in /media.

Unfortunately I don't remember how I set that up, but I think it was done possibly by udev more or less automatically.

This is also how it has worked on another machine running Fedora 15.

But under Fedora 17, the drives seem to be mounted differently. They appeared in /run/media/my_uid after I unplugged them and plugged them back in.

Can anyone direct me to documentation about how this works in Fedora 17? I would like them to be mounted in the same place each time I boot.

Added later:

It turns out that the first user who logs in gets them mounted under his /run/media/name
If I eject them for him and logout then if I login as myself then they are part of my /run/media/name.

This got a little complicated because when I rebooted I was logged in as an alternate user for some reason. This has gotten rather complicated because I still haven't gotten grub to work properly for dual booting. and I have to boot by entering commands manually to a grub interface.

Last edited by leonardevens; 15th June 2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 15th June 2012, 12:34 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: My usb drives are being mounted differently under Fedora 17

This was a consequence of a change in udisks2.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...r_Desktop.html

Scroll down to "3.1.4. Removable media changes mount points"

Here's a mailing list discussion from back in April:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/piper...il/106855.html

If you want to change this behavior see Adam Williamson's post in that thread (hint: use fstab).
Old 15th June 2012, 02:09 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

yes, this change has bitten quite a few people.

The problem is that once one user has mounted the drive, then another user can't access it. When it was mounted in /media, then one user could mount and others could access.

I had to go back and add all of my USB drives to /etc/fstab so that I could have a reliable way of making certain they were mounted the same place every time. (And I thought systemd was trying to get rid of fstab mounts. I now have about 20 more than I did under F15.
Old 15th June 2012, 04:27 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardevens View Post
This has gotten rather complicated because I still haven't gotten grub to work properly for dual booting. and I have to boot by entering commands manually to a grub interface.
Rats - thought you had that working.

What commands do you have to enter? Generally speaking, if you can get Fedora to boot that way, there should be a way to automate the process.
Old 15th June 2012, 11:44 AM
leonardevens Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
Rats - thought you had that working.

What commands do you have to enter? Generally speaking, if you can get Fedora to boot that way, there should be a way to automate the process.
In the grub shell that comes up, I use
root (hd1,0)
kernel (hd1,0/vmlinuz-3.4.0-1.fc17.x86_64 root=/dev/sd5
initrd (hd1,0)/initramfs-3.4.0-1.fc17.x86_64.img
boot

This is because /boot is on (hd1,0), my second disk, first secctor, those are the names of my kernel and intramfs, and / is on /dev/sdb5.

Actually I can get the full names by starting them and using the TAB key to complete,. but for the kernel I have to add root=/dev/sdb5 to specify where / is mounted..

The author of Easy BCD told me

"If you are able to manually key in the correct commands to boot into
Fedora, the easiest option would be to install NeoGrub, then type out
those commands in the NeoGrub configuration file:
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/NeoGrub"

He also told me that others had encountered the same problem and hw was working on a solution.
Old 15th June 2012, 12:14 PM
sea Offline
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfirefox

Have ou figured that F17 uses Grub 2.00 beta 4
while F16 had used Grub 1.99,
and F14 was still using Grub legacy?

This said, here's a link to GRUB manual, as its the offical manual, its up to date and refering to GRUB2.
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

Allthough i have never handled grub commands myself, what you type looks rather 'common', so i would assume it could match /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, which was generated using grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.

Removable medias are now mounted at /run/media/$USER/xy.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by sea; 15th June 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 15th June 2012, 04:43 PM
leonardevens Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea View Post
Have ou figured that F17 uses Grub 2.00 beta 4
while F16 had used Grub 1.99,
and F14 was still using Grub legacy?
I have figured out that Fedora 14 and Fedora 15 used Grub Legacy and Fedora 17 uses Grub 2. I have no direct experience with Fedora 16. I didn't know which version of Grub, Fedora 17 uses.

Quote:
This said, here's a link to GRUB manual, as its the offical manual, its up to date and refering to GRUB2.
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html
Thanks

Quote:
Allthough i have never handled grub commands myself, what you type looks rather 'common', so i would assume it could match /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, which was generated using grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.
I'm not sure what you mean by "match". I got a link from the author of EASY BCD which tells me how to construct a neogrub file which will execute the commands I now do manually. That would simplify the booting process at present, but I would have to figure out how to write something which would work after a kernel upgrade or even allow me to choose different kernels. It is my impression that EASY BCD's author has not yet figured out how to get that program to use the /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file. But I am hoping he will do so shortly.

Quote:
Removable medias are now mounted at /run/media/$USER/xy.

Hope this helps.
I had figured that out, and I understand how to mount them in /media if I choose to.
Old 16th June 2012, 03:16 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Actually, if you are running Gnome, you can open disk utility, then click on the drive you want to change, Under the window that shows the partitions on the drive, you can click on the little "gears" icon and change the automount preferences.

But, if you wish to mount them in your /etc/fstab, I would recommend mounting them in /mnt instead of /media, since /media is now mounted tmpfs

Tags
differently, drives, fedora, mounted, usb