Originally Posted by Fishboyfive
I know the latest beta drivers 12.6 works with fedora 17 but have no clue how to install them.
Okay, this is not self-explaining:
1. Download "amd-driver-installer-8.98-x86.x86_64.zip" from the ADM website. Since it's a zip-archive you need to unpack or extract its files. You may need to right klick on the file once it is downloaded, or your browser will open it automatically and show you a list of all the files in the archive. Which is only the file "amd-driver-installer-8.98-x86.x86_64.run". In that case, look for an option do unpack or extract the file to some place on your hard drive.
2. Start the file by either clicking or right-clicking it, depending on your settings. It will take a few seconds to create some folders, ask you for the root password, and take a few more seconds before you get to the installer.
3. In the installer, chose that you want to select a specific package. For Fedora 17, that package is "RHEL 6", since this is the Red Har equivalent to Fedora 17. It will then create a new file, probably called "fglrx_p_i_c-8.98-1.i386.rpm". This is the actual installer for you.
4. I think at this point you get a message that you have to backup the X Window Configuration file and have to run aticonfig --initial. Click okay.
5. Go to the folder /home/etc/X11 and copy the file "xorg.conf". That is the X Window Configuration file. Make a copy of it in some other folder and rename that copy to xorg.conf.0 or something like that.
6. Now click fglrx_p_i_c-8.98-1.i386.rpm to start it.
7. When it's done, open a console, for example by right clicking the desktop and chosing "Konsole". There, enter "aticonfig --initial".
If it refuses, type "su -" and press enter, type in the root password (the letters won't show, but are there) and try again.