Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:17 PM
morlock Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Power regression is not fixed in kernel 3.3 either

Once more again the adage “you get what you paid for” is true.

How long has it been since that ugly power regression (aka frying computers to crisp) problem reared it ugly head? Several distributions and even more versions of kernel have come and gone and the problem is alive and well.

You would think that a severe show stopper such as overheating would get the attention of developers and they would quickly fix the problem. One faulty distribution is acceptable as long as the problem is corrected in the next release (or, khm, in a service pack). Unfortunately not only the problem doesn’t get fixed but it gets worse in every single release.

At Fedora 16 I posted that the power regression is not fixed in kernel version 3.2.7 and I drastically reduced my Linux time to nothing more than checking if the problem is fixed at each new release or updated kernel. If not, I put Linux down until the next release….

When Fedora 17 was released I downloaded it on the first day. I couldn’t wait until I was able to secure a few hours so I could install it. My joy was short lived: my laptop heated up like an oven when the installation was still in the initial phase. By the time I got to setting Windows as the default boot entry, the keyboard was so hot that I was barely able to touch it and I had to sat the laptop down on the coffee table so it wouldn’t burn the hair off my… well, never mind.

So, I am putting Linux down again, until Fedora 18 is released. On the other hand, maybe I just put Linux down for good. I’ve been a fanatic Linux user since the mid 90s. I’ve been through many distributions and frankly, I am getting tired of the never ending problems. YOU PEOPLE HAVE MISSED THE BOAT! Your free crap is getting worse in every release and by now it borders unusable! It’s garbage! For crying out loud, this is the 21st century. Your much despised adversary, aka Microsoft, at least has a good release every second time and puts some very good stuff out there. Too bad you ain’t. Every single “free” Linux release now is total friggin’ garbage, not worth the time it takes to install. I go further: Linux today is not worth the blank CD it’s burnt on. It’s unbelievable that you can’t fix this stupid problem!

Take your “free” garbage and go to Hell with it. I am removing the Linux partitions from my laptop and increasing the size of my D: drive instead. I’ve had it with this garbage and I definitely have had it with the incompetent, in fact outright STUPID, Linux developers who can’t fix a simple problem and put the same horrid garbage out there time after time.

Tags
fixed, kernel, power, regression