Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 30th May 2012, 10:24 PM
JamesDOS Offline

windows_7firefox
Unhappy Frustrated newb - Bad luck with Fedora and Amahi

This is a bit of a rant. I have a good understanding of computers but am genuinely frustrated with my first real foray into Unix/Fedora;

Live usb key with fedora 16 on it - 1 evening

Install on laptop with windows 7 - conflicts with master boot record (or something, couldn't fix it) and partioning (for instance, said i had 2.8gigs of space on formatted 4 gig dirive?). Ended up just formatting everything out of frustration.
Got fedora 16 going -2 evenings

Realised i hadn't used the full installation DVD so had to do a post install of amahi - various pieces of fiddling at each step - 2 evenings.

FINALLY - done!

Eh, oh no, my wireless is gone? Damn, newb error - it's meant to be.

Spent this evening unable to change the wireless settings because I can't figure out how to edit the necessary files using gedit. in the graphical interface i don't have permission, doesnt seem to load up when logged in to a terminal as su. In recovery mode gedit cant find the display. Tried various sodu variations etc.

At the end of my tether from my first week of fedora and about 6+ evenings of work.

All I want is to run amahi as a home server without a wired connection. Sounds like it should be a relatively simple process...

Should I give up on fedora and UNIX systems, is it always the hard at every single step of a process!?

Congrats for making it to the end, apologies for offloading my frustrations! Any general insights/advice appreciated.
Old 30th May 2012, 10:42 PM
marko Online

linuxfirefox
Re: Frustrated newb - Bad luck with Fedora and Amahi

This post should be moved to "Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream" forum

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25
Old 30th May 2012, 11:03 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

And so it has been.
Old 30th May 2012, 11:16 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDOS View Post
[...]
All I want is to run amahi as a home server without a wired connection. Sounds like it should be a relatively simple process...
maybe this guide helps with this: Every Server Setup Imaginable: SMB, SSH, VPN, VNC, HTTPD (+ PHP), MySQL, More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDOS View Post
Should I give up on fedora and UNIX systems, is it always the hard at every single step of a process!?
you just have to get accustomed to it. If you want multimedia codecs and more multimedia players, you can install the rpmfusion-repo. To install it just download "rpmfusion-free-release-16-1.2.noarch.rpm" from here:
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/...e-release.html

other helpful guides for fedora noobs (to make the installation of multimedia codecs, skype, flash and such things easier):
easyLife - Automated installs and configurations on Fedora!
Autoplus to help install codecs,flash etc...
Fedora Utils for Getting things done

Tags
amahi, bad, fedora, frustrated, luck, newb