Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 29th May 2012, 07:58 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfirefox
F17: Worst upgrade ever?

I just upgraded my main machine from F16 to F17, and it has been an unmitigated disaster. The issues are too numerous to list, but the underlying theme is a shocking carelessness (like not even installing the F17 version of the kernel!) that I never expected to see from Fedora. The result is a system that's almost unusable. I can't even update the packages because yum seems thoroughly busted. Core packages like zlib are stuck on the F16 version. When I try to reboot the system hangs because it can't find the shutdown and other basic commands. X won't start. The grub configuration is completely screwed up. The list goes on.

Has anyone else here done an upgrade from F16 to F17? Has it worked OK for you? I almost always do upgrades instead of fresh installs, and I've never had problems like this, not even with the infamously terrible F8.
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 29th May 2012, 08:06 PM
neur0 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: F17: Worst upgrade ever?

How did you perform the upgrade? Using the install CD?
Old 29th May 2012, 08:09 PM
jsn255 Offline

linuxfirefox

Pretty bad. First issue was to get anaconda's black screen out of the way. Solved via nomodeset to boot options.

After upgrade (preupgrade method) I'm in some sort of working fedora. The yum repolists shows fedora 16 and is quite stuck in there.

cat /etc/issue atleasts shows Fedora 17.
Old 29th May 2012, 08:33 PM
steelaworkn Offline

linuxfirefox

Haven't done it yet. I'm waiting for y'all to pioneer it for me...Father's Day weekend is my traditional upgrade time. Hope it all works then.

Intel DP35DP MB; Nvidia 440 2 gig Video Card; 8 gigs of ram; Intel Core Duo 2.20 gig; Hp Officejet Pro L7580; LVM F20 64bit using 3 320g HDs and dual monitors.
Old 29th May 2012, 08:37 PM
StyxD Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsn255
The yum repolists shows fedora 16 and is quite stuck in there.
I had to reset the computer while anaconda was running (one packet would not get upgraded, not even after half an hour). I managed to get all packages installed eventually, but yum still thinks it's Fedora 16 and preupgrade offers me an update to 17.

I thought it may be because the installation was borked because of the reset, but if other people have it too... could you please check if preupgrade offers you an update, too?
Old 29th May 2012, 08:41 PM
beaker_ Offline

windows_7ie

Not yet. But, from what I see, maybe I'll install another debian instead.
Old 29th May 2012, 08:47 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by neur0 View Post
How did you perform the upgrade? Using the install CD?
I used the install DVD.

I figured out that there were several packages that yum was choking on (e.g. nfs-utils), and removing those has let me at least run yum update. But that still bombed and I have had to go into the /var/cache/yum directories and manually install the downloaded RPMs and resolve dependencies. And the update still doesn't complete (though it seems to have updated most of the crucial stuff). This is going to take a while to fix.
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 29th May 2012, 09:11 PM
jsn255 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyxD View Post
I had to reset the computer while anaconda was running (one packet would not get upgraded, not even after half an hour). I managed to get all packages installed eventually, but yum still thinks it's Fedora 16 and preupgrade offers me an update to 17.

I thought it may be because the installation was borked because of the reset, but if other people have it too... could you please check if preupgrade offers you an update, too?
When i run preupgrade now, it does say: "Available fedora releases: Fedora 17 (Beefy Miracle)".
Old 29th May 2012, 09:26 PM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
Has anyone else here done an upgrade from F16 to F17? Has it worked OK for you? I almost always do upgrades instead of fresh installs, and I've never had problems like this, not even with the infamously terrible F8.
It looks like a cycle. Did you verify the DVD? Sometime the borking is due to the bad iso file from mirror server. I will attempt to reproduce the issue through Boxes.
Old 29th May 2012, 09:38 PM
firefly1201 Offline

linuxfirefox

I did a preupgrade, and it quit the install while cleaning up the vala package. I ran it again after using "yum reinstall vala", which worked, but the Fedora 17 kernel won't come up on grub, and there isn't a initramfs-3.3.7-1.fc17 image in /boot, just the one for fc16. It's a shame, I haven't had issues with upgrading since I started using Fedora at 11, and I really can't work out how to boot into the fc17 kernel.
Old 29th May 2012, 09:44 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalzone View Post
Did you verify the DVD?
Yes, I always verify the checksums. This DVD had the correct checksum.

I don't think it's a fluke. I had a similar issue when upgrading my 32-bit F16 machine to 32-bit F17 today (which I'm using right now, though it still needs more work to fix completely). So I've had the same problem upgrading both the 64-bit and 32-bit F16 systems I have, using DVDs that I downloaded from different sites and with verified checksums. I've seen reports of this from others as well, so I don't think I'm alone in this. Maybe fresh installs work better, but the upgrade method for F17 seems very broken.
Old 29th May 2012, 10:06 PM
YeOK Offline

linuxchrome

I followed the guide here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgra...-.3E_Fedora_17.

This worked OK for the most part, my only issue is grub2 throwing a missing files error when booting, I'm guessing its related to a grub2 theme as my machine still boots fine.
Old 29th May 2012, 10:29 PM
StyxD Offline

linuxfirefox

I forgot to mention: I also have kernel 3.3.7-1.fc17 installed, but it doesn't show up in grub menu.

It looks like it's gonna be a fresh install on the weekend for me. I've already grabbed the image.
Terrible mess.
Old 29th May 2012, 10:35 PM
sesso Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOK View Post
I followed the guide here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgra...-.3E_Fedora_17.

This worked OK for the most part, my only issue is grub2 throwing a missing files error when booting, I'm guessing its related to a grub2 theme as my machine still boots fine.
I think it has to do with how grub2 checks for files. It looks in one dir first and when it cant find what it needs, it goes to another.
Old 29th May 2012, 10:43 PM
mmix Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
grub2 throwing a missing files error when booting
4 weeks ago, i had this problem, then boot with slitaz usb, opened grub.cfg with vim on HDD, no modification(ZZ).
and reboot with F17, it shows boot menu again. weird.

BTW, fresh install with latest version is best method, IMHO.