Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th May 2012, 10:25 PM
JustRob Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
To upgrade or not to upgrade? That is the ?

I am using fedora fc14 with the xfce 4 desktop. It is running well but I'm wondering if I'd gain much by upgrading. Would I lose my work and data from this? I have one hard drive in my system for windows, one for linux with only one partition and one drive for ghost backups. Is their much to gain from upgrading? Is there much at risk?

Also, the other day while in windows the computer (a 2-3 year old dell with windows 7) started humming and buzzing and the screen went kind of snowy and pretty much froze. I held the power button down and rebooted to windows and it has been ok. Then I booted to fedora and it takes much longer for the fedora/infinity emblem to fill in but it does. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 10:34 PM
sillav Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade? That is the ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
I am using fedora fc14 with the xfce 4 desktop. It is running well but I'm wondering if I'd gain much by upgrading.
Fedora 14 is End of Life, meaning it doesn't receive security upgrades anymore. So you would benefit from upgrading in the sense that you would be using a supported verson once again.

Quote:
Would https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipe...r/003023.htmlI lose my work and data from this? I have one hard drive in my system for windows, one for linux with only one partition and one drive for ghost backups.
That would depend on how you do the upgrade and where the data is stored. It sounds like you keep backups though, so you shouldn't have much trouble upgrading/installing a more recent (i.e., supported) version.

Quote:
Is their much to gain from upgrading? Is there much at risk?
I believe xfce version on yours is 4.6.2, so by upgrading to say 16 you would have 4.8 and if fedora 17, you could enable the xfce4.10 repository. Xfce has made significant improvents since 4.6.2. As for risk... that is for you to decide.

Quote:
Also, the other day while in windows the computer (a 2-3 year old dell with windows 7) started humming and buzzing and the screen went kind of snowy and pretty much froze. I held the power button down and rebooted to windows and it has been ok. Then I booted to fedora and it takes much longer for the fedora/infinity emblem to fill in but it does. Any thoughts?
Remove windows. Check the boot logs for error messages. Upgrade.
Old 25th May 2012, 11:02 PM
SlowJet Offline

linuxfirefox

F15 will be eol before you can upgrade.
F16 will not boot on you PentIV untill a way newer kernel is installed.
F17 will break your system most likely.
grub2 may screw up your dual boot on windows.

Keep what you have for New Windows 8 and get a new Linux machine (Intel i7 with newer vt teckknlowlogy, 6 ddr3 slots, usb2/3, sata2/3, newer video, monitor, printer, scanner, cam, sound&speakers, TV monitor.
Thne you'll be set for the 20teens.

SJ
Old 26th May 2012, 04:16 AM
BBQdave Online
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
I am using fedora fc14 with the xfce 4 desktop... a 2-3 year old dell
I have F16 Xfce on a dell inspiron 1100 (2.0GHz celeron with 1 gig of ram), runs great.

And I suggest you back up your data and do a fresh install
Old 26th May 2012, 04:39 AM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

Quote:
I am using fedora fc14 with the xfce 4 desktop. It is running well but I'm wondering if I'd gain much by upgrading. Would I lose my work and data from this?
security wise you should upgrade. back up your data.

Quote:
I have one hard drive in my system for windows, one for linux with only one partition and one drive for ghost backups. Is their much to gain from upgrading? Is there much at risk?
Its depends upon how safely you can backup. backup and do experiments.

Quote:

Thanks
possible some error. Can't really say much from this info.

Tags
upgrade