Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
  #1  
Old 25th May 2012, 02:37 PM
yakusa Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Poland
Posts: 1
windows_xp_2003firefox
Amd apu

Hello.Hello. I have laptop with AMD APU (A4-3300M+ATI GPU+8GB) i want to change OS to upcoming F17x64 from W7HPx64. Did my laptop will work properly? I found AMD drivers on their site. Which desktop enviroment choose? KDE or Gnome?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28th May 2012, 01:01 PM
george_toolan Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,078
linuxfirefox
Re: Amd apu

Which notebook do you have exactly?

Your APU should be working, but there are other components involved as well.

You can download Live CDs with different Desktop Environments like Gnome 3, KDE, XFCE or LXDE to find out if it's working on your computer and which one you like best. Later you can even install all of them and choose one on the logon screen.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28th May 2012, 02:33 PM
hostace Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Russia
Posts: 34
linuxfirefox
Re: Amd apu

For notebook best thing for using LXDE or XFCE. Should work properly.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11th June 2012, 06:37 PM
droidhacker Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 827
linuxfirefox
Re: Amd apu

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakusa View Post
Hello.Hello. I have laptop with AMD APU (A4-3300M+ATI GPU+8GB) i want to change OS to upcoming F17x64 from W7HPx64. Did my laptop will work properly? I found AMD drivers on their site. Which desktop enviroment choose? KDE or Gnome?
Proper drivers are built into the linux kernel. No need to download horrid blob mess.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11th June 2012, 10:19 PM
Penguinclaw Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 146
linuxfirefox
Re: Amd apu

The beauty of Linux is the choice of desktop environments. Your hardware should work with any of those mentioned by George Toolan above. So if you have the broadband try a few live cd's and see which feel and look you prefer. To run a live cd you may have to go into the bios and change the boot order to cd first. Exact instructions on this vary on motherboard so it may be worth checking with the manufacturer or googling.

Good luck and I hope you find the desktop for you! By the way most can be configured to look exactly how you want ie theme changes, 3d acceleration via ATI propriatry drivers (there are howto's within this forum) so you can get wobbly windows and spinning desktops. But if you'd prefer a more minamalistic approach Xfce and LXDE are both light and ultra fast; leaving you to just enjoy the applications of your choice. Remember there are litterly thousands of applications in the repositories that you can add after you install; so you don't have to stick with the default ones.
__________________
OSS - the way forward
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12th June 2012, 03:02 PM
droidhacker Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 827
linuxfirefox
Re: Amd apu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinclaw View Post
The beauty of Linux is the choice of desktop environments. Your hardware should work with any of those mentioned by George Toolan above. So if you have the broadband try a few live cd's and see which feel and look you prefer. To run a live cd you may have to go into the bios and change the boot order to cd first. Exact instructions on this vary on motherboard so it may be worth checking with the manufacturer or googling.

Good luck and I hope you find the desktop for you! By the way most can be configured to look exactly how you want ie theme changes, 3d acceleration via ATI propriatry drivers (there are howto's within this forum) so you can get wobbly windows and spinning desktops. But if you'd prefer a more minamalistic approach Xfce and LXDE are both light and ultra fast; leaving you to just enjoy the applications of your choice. Remember there are litterly thousands of applications in the repositories that you can add after you install; so you don't have to stick with the default ones.
NO, 3D is provided by MESA/RADEON, and is activated and functional right out of the box. Leave the horrid blob and use what actually works.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12th June 2012, 08:25 PM
screamin_jesus Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 232
linuxchrome
Re: Amd apu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostace View Post
For notebook best thing for using LXDE or XFCE. Should work properly.
Personally, I love gnome-shell on my notebook

@ OP I'd recommend trying a few livecd's and seeing which environment suits you. gnome, kde, xfce, lxde are all good but they have different audiences. Your apu is supported well with the default open source driver from what I've heard, but again you will want to try the live cd to make sure wireless/sound etc.. work alright. Even if they don't work out of the box its usually not too hard to get them working.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13th June 2012, 11:22 PM
Penguinclaw Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 146
linuxfirefox
Re: Amd apu

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
NO, 3D is provided by MESA/RADEON, and is activated and functional right out of the box. Leave the horrid blob and use what actually works.
Thanks for that correction. I must admit I haven't owned an ATI card in ages so Sorry for the error. Nice it now works out of the box.
__________________
OSS - the way forward
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13th June 2012, 11:40 PM
Fenrin Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 895
linuxopera
Re: Amd apu

if you have APU + dedicated graphiccard make sure that you only use the APU under Linux and turn off the dedicated graphiccard. Otherwise it will heat up a lot.

Recently I read about a fedora user who had a notebook with Radeon APU. At first he didn't even know that in his notebook had a dedicated graphiccard too, but he wondered why the power consumption and heat was so high. And then he found out that he had to turn off the dedicated graphiccard.

The thread is somewhere in this forum I think, but it could be that it is a few weeks older.

The free Radeon driver should work pretty decent with this card. The proprietary driver has some advantatages, like better performance and efficiency, but as linux noob and for someone who doesn't play advanced games, and for people who use the newest Fedora releases it's generally better to use the default driver.

Last edited by Fenrin; 13th June 2012 at 11:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
amd, apu

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Current GMT-time: 16:32 (Thursday, 02-10-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat