Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:42 AM
parth Offline

linuxfirefox
Lightbulb Thundrbird between f16 and win7

I recently shifted to f16 from Ubuntu, and am working my around it. I have an dual-booted my laptop with win7. Thunderbird is what I use in windows for emails. Is there any way I can have the same emails between both the OSes, I remember doing it in ubuntu by pointing the client in both the OSes to the same locations. But it never really worked out as thunderbird refused to open in ubuntu after a while giving an error..I want to know is there any way I can do it in f16?
Old 22nd May 2012, 02:44 AM
Doug G Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Thundrbird between f16 and win7

The easiest way is to use IMAP, then the mail resides on the server and you can see it from any IMAP mail client. That's what I do with thunderbird on both windows and linux (and my smartphone).
Old 22nd May 2012, 05:19 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

IMAP is definitely the best solution. Theoretically, you could think use rsync between the .thunderbird folders of linux and windows. But, I envisage that to be a huge hassle!

Once, I tried the same folder with windows and Fedora and it worked quite well. So, I am not sure what the problem was in your case ...
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:31 AM
parth Offline

linuxfirefox

Currently in windows im using IMAP and i have emails on my pc, but is it because I have enabled offline messages option?

@Doug G: So it means that using IMAP, changes like read/unread emails will reflect on all the devices right?

@nonamedotc: I shall try both the options..

Thanks for the replies! I shall try it out and post what happens
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:41 AM
zuser Online

linuxchrome

It is actually fairly easy to do, as I have done it for several years using win7 and various Linux distros. I setup a fat32 partition to use as a common storage area for both systems. Copy the Thunderbird profile files for either installation to a folder on the fat32 partition and change account setting in T'bird to point to the new location.

Assuming you did this for the Linux installation, reboot to win7 and edit account settings to change profile name to that from the Linux account and set path to profile on the fat32 partition.

The above explanation is generally correct albeit some detail missing.

The nice aspect is it works the same for pop or imap, makes no difference.

Last edited by zuser; 22nd May 2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: add note
Old 13th June 2012, 06:16 AM
parth Offline

linuxchrome

So what i did is, auto-mounted my win partition each time f16 started and just pointed the t'bird to the windows location.

But a few days back i got an error i was dreading, i faced it last time i tried this with ubuntu, only this time i faced it in windows instead of linux.

When i fireup t'bird in win7 it gives an error, an instance of t'bird is already running. When in fact there is no process running. So t'bird has simply stopped responding in w7, but it works fine in f16...so far i.e

Tags
f16, thundrbird, win7