Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:27 AM
Brombor Offline

linuxfirefox
How to install Compiz on Fedora 17

EDIT: Note, these installation steps had some potential problems. See my post #7 below for the corrected steps.

- - - - - - - - -

I wanted to use Compiz, though it isn't included with Fedora any more. I searched around to see how I could install it on F17, and couldn't find much info. So after a bit of tinkering, I managed to get it working with a fresh F17 install. This is what I did, and the result I got:

1.) I made sure I had all the required dependencies installed:
Code:
sudo yum install boost boost-devel pango-devel cairo-devel libjpeg-turbo-devel libGLU-devel GConf2 pkgconfig util-linux libxslt-devel libX11-devel libdrm-devel libwnck-devel libXfixes-devel libXrandr-devel libXrender-devel libXcomposite-devel libXdamage-devel libXext-devel libXt-devel libXmu-devel libICE-devel libSM-devel gnome-desktop-devel control-center GConf2-devel desktop-file-utils cmake intltool gettext dbus-devel librsvg2-devel metacity-devel mesa-libGLU-devel kdebase-workspace-devel plasma-devel fuse-devel cairo-devel libtool libxslt-devel dbus-glib-devel glibmm24-devel qt-sqlite qt-devel pkgconfig util-linux libxslt-devel libX11-devel libdrm-devel libwnck-devel libXfixes-devel libXrandr-devel libXrender-devel libXcomposite-devel libXdamage-devel libXext-devel libXt-devel libXmu-devel libICE-devel libSM-devel gnome-desktop-devel control-center GConf2-devel desktop-file-utils cmake intltool gettext dbus-devel librsvg2-devel metacity-devel mesa-libGLU-devel kdebase-workspace-devel plasma-devel fuse-devel cairo-devel libtool libxslt-devel dbus-glib-devel glibmm24-devel python-sexy
2.) I downloaded the Compiz rpm packages from the F16 repo, and installed each of them without dependencies using “rpm -ivh --no deps”
ccsm
compiz
compiz-bcop
compiz-devel
compiz-fusion
compiz-fusion-extras
compiz-fusion-extras-devel
compiz-fusion-extras-gconf
compiz-gconf
compiz-gnome
compiz-gtk
compiz-manager
compiz-plugins-main
compiz-plugins-main-devel
compiz-plugins-main-gconf
compizconfig
compizconfig-devel
compizconfig-backend-gconf
compizconfig-python
Everything installed except compiz-fusion, which complained about conflicting with the plugins-main for some reason.

3.) At this point, it looked like compiz would only work with boost and boost-devel version 1.47.0, but not with 1.48.0, which came with F17. So I made links for some of the boost modules, to get compiz working with the newer version.
Code:
sudo ln /usr/lib/libboost_serialization.so /usr/lib/libboost_serialization.so.1.47.0
sudo ln /usr/lib/libboost_serialization-mt.so /usr/lib/libboost_serialization-mt.so.1.47.0
sudo ln /usr/lib/libboost_wserialization.so /usr/lib/libboost_wserialization.so.1.47.0
sudo ln /usr/lib/libboost_wserialization-mt.so /usr/lib/libboost_wserialization-mt.so.1.47.0
4.) After rebooting, GDM gave me a new session login option: “Classic GNOME with Compiz.” And once I logged in, I had basic compiz functionality, and was able to configure most things with ccsm.

For some things though, I had to log back out, and log in through a regular “GNOME” session in Forced Fallback Mode to configure... such as creating a new bottom panel, or to create new panel shortcuts and applets. Unfortunately, a few of the applets didn't work, such as typing break and volume icon in the system tray. If anyone figured out a way to get these applets working, please let me know.

Also, I didn't install beryl, or any themes, but I have my desktop cube with wobbly windows, conky, etc.

Last edited by Brombor; 26th May 2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:02 PM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: How to install Compiz on Fedora 17

Hint: usually linux uses soft links instead of hard links. This way it is easier to see which libraries are being used especially if you have installed several different versions:

Code:
/usr/lib64/libboost_serialization-mt.so -> libboost_serialization-mt.so.1.47.0
/usr/lib64/libboost_serialization.so -> libboost_serialization.so.1.47.0
Old 23rd May 2012, 02:52 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

moved to F17 Development
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 23rd May 2012, 03:55 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
moved to F17 Development
bob, your title says retired, but you don't seem retired

Are you back to admin duty? Either way, good to see you here!
Old 23rd May 2012, 04:08 PM
Brombor Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Hint: usually linux uses soft links instead of hard links. This way it is easier to see which libraries are being used especially if you have installed several different versions:

Code:
/usr/lib64/libboost_serialization-mt.so -> libboost_serialization-mt.so.1.47.0
/usr/lib64/libboost_serialization.so -> libboost_serialization.so.1.47.0
EDIT: Thanks George, I fixed the problem. See below

Last edited by Brombor; 26th May 2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: problem has been fixed below
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:36 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

Please note that this is a hideous hack and _extremely_ likely to explode in your face at any given moment. Library incompatibilities exist for a reason.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:20 PM
Brombor Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks for the warning Adam.

I changed the installation steps to avoid this problem. New steps are:

1.) I downloaded the Compiz rpm packages and dependencies from the F16 repo, and installed them using “yum localinstall"

boost-serialization
compiz
libcompizconfig
compizcompiz-gconf
compizconfig-backend-gconf
compizconfig-python
compiz-plugins-main
compiz-plugins-main-gconf
compiz-gtk
compiz-gnome
compiz-fusion-extras
compiz-fusion-extras-gconf
compiz-bcop
compiz-manager
ccsm

2.) I locked the boost-serialization dependency from updating, so it wouldn't break compiz. (If you don't have yum-plugin-versionlock installed, you'll need to do this first. Then run:
Code:
sudo yum versionlock boost-serialization
As far as I can tell, locking the version is the only potential drawback. (Only if you're running another program which needs the newer version of boost-serialization.)

3.) Then just reboot and log into GNOME with Compiz session. Everything works as I described above.

Last edited by Brombor; 26th May 2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: fixes potential problem
Old 24th May 2012, 04:02 AM
Catastrophe Offline

linuxfirefox

have to ask.... why compiz?
Old 26th May 2012, 03:18 AM
Brombor Offline

linuxfirefox

because I like the desktop effects

Tags
compiz, f17, fedora, install