Since we're not sure if there is a corrupted partition I propose another avenue of attack. Boot the system and when you can get a command prompt log in as root. Then disable the virtualbox services so they won't start. We don't need them when trying to diagnose a system that won't fully boot.
I believe the following commands should suffice:
PHP Code:
systemctl disable vboxdrv.service
systemctl disable vboxweb-service.service
systemctl disable vboxballoonctrl-service.service
Then lets see what the last update brought in. I'm wondering if there was a kernel update. If there was, it may not match the latest installed akmods. To do that execute the following:
PHP Code:
yum history list
That will show a list of the last several yum updates. The top most listing is the last update. Lets call it "48" for the sake of arguement. Execute
PHP Code:
yum history list 48
That will list all packages updated / installed during the most recent update.
Could you also show the output of these three commands?
PHP Code:
uname -r
rpm -qa | grep akmod
rpm -qa | grep kernel
Hope this stuff is relevant to the current issue. As before, thinking out loud.
Forgot to mention that the whole idea behind disableing the VirtualBox services was so that they don't start at next boot and therefore are eliminated from the equasion.
You can also try disabling the akmods service too. I believe that the command to do that would be:
PHP Code:
systemctl disable akmods.service