Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th May 2012, 12:55 AM
draven462 Offline

linuxfirefox
Nvidia driver install, Now random restarts

Hi all. Recently migrated from XP to Fedora 16. Really psyched, and have so much to learn, lol. I downloaded the awesome Easy Life script and installed the nvidia driver that applied to my 8600GT as well as some codecs. Now, my computer restarts seeminly at random. The screen immediately goes to a full screen picture of the nvidia logo, which disappears and I'm asked for my password to login. Once I log in, all evidence of my previous session is gone. I did not see any mention of this particular problem in past posts. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10th May 2012, 09:40 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Nvidia driver install, Now random restarts

I don't really think the "computer" restarts

Code:
uptime
If this shows an uptime of more than a couple of minutes then just the X server crashed.

Could it be this problem described here http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1574003?

Did you install mplayer? So if

Code:
mplayer filename.avi
crashes then try

Code:
mplayer -vo gl filename.avi
instead.
Old 26th May 2012, 04:29 PM
draven462 Offline

linuxfirefox

george_toolan,

Thank you for your reply. I've been really busy and have not had a chance to respond. My X window no longer closes at random. Not sure what I did to change this. Nonetheless, I tried to confirm if having glx set as the video output was the reason for my problem going away. I used

Code:
vlc nameoffile.avi -V glx
and always got "input can't be opened" and "file reading failed" errors. Now I just need to figure out why the color of my youtube videos is off. All the people are blue
Old 26th May 2012, 04:46 PM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven462 View Post
george_toolan,

Thank you for your reply. I've been really busy and have not had a chance to respond. My X window no longer closes at random. Not sure what I did to change this. Nonetheless, I tried to confirm if having glx set as the video output was the reason for my problem going away. I used

Code:
vlc nameoffile.avi -V glx
and always got "input can't be opened" and "file reading failed" errors. Now I just need to figure out why the color of my youtube videos is off. All the people are blue

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...=278129&page=4

Tags
driver, install, nvidia, random, restarts