Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th May 2012, 05:16 AM
GNowakowski Offline

linuxfirefox
Default Programs in Gnome3

Hi there,

I've been hoping to do away completely with Evolution. Its not my personal cup of tea - albeit a great mail program. I personally just like the OpenPGP plugin for thunderbird, and because of this have been shifting all of my mail usage to this application.

I also hope to shift my usage of calendar to it. Fedora is setup to default to Evolution. I've gone to the system-settings utility and I have found that System Info has "Default Applications" listed in it. From here I have changed my mail application - but cannot set Thunderbird as the default for calendar.

I have installed lightning (the plugin for Thunderbirds Calendar) via
Code:
sudo yum -y install thunderbirdlightning
The installation was absolutely successful and the plugin works for Thunderbird (v12)
How can I help Gnome3 change the Calendar application to Thunderbird (as it does not appear in the dropdown list for this selection).

Perhaps there is a command-line alternative command to allow me to do this rather than via- GUI.
Old 7th May 2012, 03:47 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: Default Programs in Gnome3

Well, there is no easy way, that I know of, to make GNOME calendar work with thunderbird. You can edit the defaults.list under the /usr/share/applications folder to make thunderbird you default mail and calendar application. However, changes in lightning will not be reflected on the GNOME calendar.

One of the ways suggested (in the past) to make this work is to leave evolution as the calendar and synchronize thunderbird and evolution calendars.

If you find a better way, do post.

Tags
default, gnome3, programs