Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th May 2012, 02:59 PM
prolog Offline

windows_7firefox
How to get "text mode" in virtual console in 16

Hi,

I just installed Fedora 16 on my desktop, after some years away from Linux (my last distro would've been Mandrake back in 2004 or so). While the graphical stuff is nice, a lot of the time I find myself in the virtual console (to play nethack, etc). When trying a virtual console, I noticed that the text was very small. I'm used to seeing a standard 80x25 display, and the text was ridiculously tiny. I had just installed NetBSD a few days before this, and got a standard console.

So I've tried a number of things. /etc/inittab helpfully informed me that I needed to re-link to multi-user, and reboot. Tried that, and I did get the console on reboot, but it was still in ridiculously-tiny-text mode. What do I need to do to get a sane 80x25 console so I can play nethack again?
Old 6th May 2012, 03:44 PM
eaglelinux Offline

linuxchrome
Re: How to get "text mode" in virtual console in 16

Hello !

Take a look here, I think that's an solvation way: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=221898

Bye !
Old 6th May 2012, 05:57 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I think the instructions in that thread are obsolete in F16 because of GRUB 2.

What you could do is edit /boot/grub2/grub.cfg (as root) and put in these settings somewhere after the function load_video {...} part but before the "set timeout..." line.
Code:
set gfxmode=640x480x8,640x480
load_video
insmod gfxterm
terminal_input gfxterm
terminal_output gfxterm
You'll have to reboot to see the changes.
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 6th May 2012, 07:22 PM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

If you use gnome-terminal just select View--> Zoom In a couple of times.

Does anybody know why the shortcut key (Ctrl and +/-) does not work with the +/- keys on the numeric keypad?
Old 7th May 2012, 02:27 AM
prolog Offline

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
I think the instructions in that thread are obsolete in F16 because of GRUB 2.

What you could do is edit /boot/grub2/grub.cfg (as root) and put in these settings somewhere after the function load_video {...} part but before the "set timeout..." line.
Code:
set gfxmode=640x480x8,640x480
load_video
insmod gfxterm
terminal_input gfxterm
terminal_output gfxterm
You'll have to reboot to see the changes.
Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately, the resolution was the same as before.
Old 7th May 2012, 04:51 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

You probably have something else controlling your framebuffer (I think plymouth is likely the culprit - I always disable it). One alternative is to add an fbset command to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, like this:
Code:
fbset -depth 8 640x480-60
See the fbset man page for more details. You could test that command in a console before rebooting to see if it works.
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 9th May 2012, 03:58 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfirefox

Hello prolog,

To get the standard 80x25 on the console I added:

nomodeset

to the kernel line. I had to edit, as root, /etc/default/grub and then run, as root:
Code:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
to get the new kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.cfg. I also have deleted quiet and rhgb from the kernel line.
On reboot, I get the standard 80x25 fonts on the console. I also don't run gnome. Ben.

Last edited by nsnbm; 9th May 2012 at 04:09 AM. Reason: more information

Tags
console, text mode, virtual