Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 3rd May 2012, 10:16 PM
jiangshi Offline

linuxfirefox
That @#^&*! Grub2

[RANT - 1]

For those of us that dual boot, changing the boot order in grub2 is problematic to say the least!! For a task that is done so much by users, one would think that grub developers would give us a SIMPLE method for changing the boot order.

Yes, I know, there are some command-line methods, and after 2 hours of trial and error, I finally found one that worked.

Dear Fedora developers, PLEASE find/create a gui tool for managing boot order that can be included with the system tools.

[/rant - 1]

[RANT - 2]

I want only ONE kernel and its rescue, not two or more! Yum does not seem to know how to delete the extra one - two are being listed by grub2. In a perfect world, a kernel upgrade/update would ask the user if they want to keep the older version/patch.

[/rant - 2]

~jiangshi
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:44 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxmidori
Re: That @#^&*! Grub2

This might help.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=278536

For the kernel numbers, edit the installonly line in yum.config to suit your desires.
Old 4th May 2012, 12:05 AM
jiangshi Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
This might help.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=278536

For the kernel numbers, edit the installonly line in yum.config to suit your desires.
Thank you for your reply!

The link goes to a discussion about changing grub themes. And Yum gets an out-of-range error if I set the installonly to 1. I guess I can live with two kernels being listed.

~jiangshi
Old 4th May 2012, 12:08 AM
pete_1967 Online
Clueless in a Cuckooland

linuxfirefox

Wait until the update has borked kernel, or bits and bobs break because of new kernel (video drivers are notorious for that) and you'll be happy that you got the older, working one, available.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 4th May 2012, 12:48 PM
jiangshi Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967 View Post
Wait until the update has borked kernel, or bits and bobs break because of new kernel (video drivers are notorious for that) and you'll be happy that you got the older, working one, available.
Yes, that is true. And much of the updating is just for the sake of updating. Actually, the real issue is with grub2 (mine is 1.99). The current trend in application development seems to be adding more complexity rather than streamling functionality. MS has made this mistake in spades, and sadly, so have the Linux desktop developers, especially Gnome and KDE. I want fewer clicks not more. The grub team says the old code is unmaintainable - fine, but do not make the new code MORE obtuse to the user.

Thank you for your response.

~jiangshi
Old 4th May 2012, 12:50 PM
sea Online
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfedorafirefox

GRUB2 is the same as GRUB 1.99.